PDF extensions not working anymore

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Kraftt

PDF extensions not working anymore

Post by Kraftt »

I'm a student relying on this program to open PDFs and edit them. I either need a fix or an alternative for editing pdf asap as I'm finishing finals and whatnot.

I currently have OpenOffice 4.1.3 installed. I have been using it for the past 2 years with the Oracle PDF import 1.0.4 extension installed and had no problems with it until now.
Today I tried to open my PDF files and I get the ASCII Filter Option popping up.
I looked in the extensions and there were none in there so I thought somehow they disappeared or were deleted.
I re download the Oracle PDF extension and was prompted with my downloads saying I already have this download.
So I look back into the extensions and there is a yellow exclamation beside the extension. Clicking enable brings up "loading component library failed"
I tried to disable and add the Oracle extension back in but I get the same results and before.
I tried deleted the extensions and downloading them again, then adding them through the extension manager, but no luck.

I have also tried this extension: https://www.arielch.org/aoo/aoo-pdf-import/
It is supposed to be compatible with version 4 of OO but I still get the same errors when adding it.

And on another note, checking for updates fails and same with in the extensions. I get "Error reading data from the internet".
(Also upon opening a Drawing or Text Document everything is underlined in red. But I've fixed that before so I am not too worried about it right now. I just want to know why all of a sudden this program is not working for me.)
RusselB

Re: PDF extensions not working anymore

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Fist off, PDF files are not meant to be edited. They are meant to be the digital equivalent of a printed page.
Since the extension was working for you, and apparently you still have the original download, I'm going to suggest resetting your user profile, which is the same process you probably used for fixing the red underlined spelling problem. You may have to reinstall the extension after resetting your user profile.
As to the error that you got when checking for updates. this has been reported here many times, however, to my knowledge, no one on these forums has the access/ability to fix the problem.
it is my understanding that the situation has been brought to the attention of those that do have the access/ability, but aside from waiting for them to actually resolve the problem, there's nothing else we can do.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Note:
Converting a PDF into a reeditable file format, and adjusting the formatting properties to a desired state in most cases will mean much more work hours than the recreating of the document in the native, international standard ODF format.

Tips:
1:
I have also tried this extension: https://www.arielch.org/aoo/aoo-pdf-import/
Try to download the extension for the Apache OpenOffice from the official extensions page:

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... openoffice

2:
The installer file of the LibreOffice (for Windows) contains the PDF import filter for the Draw application - by default. Try it.
The PDF "edit" feature is not equivalent to the editing features of the various document types. You can make some cosmetic-like changing in the PDF document - if at all it is editable. You can not edit the text part in a PDF document containing only a scanned picture/page. The electronically exported texts in a PDF documents are "graphical text labels" and you can modify the position and the string of the labels.

3:
If you want to convert the PDF document (the editable ones) into a well editable .odt, .doc, docx file type,then you need use an online converter service.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the tutorial on AOO and PDFs for a full discussion.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RusselB wrote:Fist off, PDF files are not meant to be edited. They are meant to be the digital equivalent of a printed page.
Russel

A slight clarification. PDF stands for Portable Document Format and it is designed to be easily readable on any system. PDFs can be edited but effectively only by Adobe's Acrobat software (although minor changes can be made by other software). As the vast majority of us don't buy Adobe Acrobat PDFs are very difficult to edit.

See the PDF Tutorial for a full discussion of the issues and the licencing terms which allow anyone to create a PDF, but restrict editing them to Adobe Acrobat.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.