Documents have been 'scrambled'

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
birthdaygirl1948

Documents have been 'scrambled'

Post by birthdaygirl1948 »

I have been using open office for a long time but I went into them this morning and everything has been scrambled so they are totally unreadable, any idea what has happened and how do I over come it please.
Thanks
Carol
sorry, don't know where or how to find the open office version without losing this screen, I think it is about 4 years ago that I loaded it on to this computer but it has probably been updated since. The computer is running windows 10
RoryOF

Re: documents have been 'scrambled'

Post by RoryOF »

All documents, or merely the last few you were using?

Any error message, such as choose an ASCII filter?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's a Windows 10 update problem where Windows 10 deletes all you user files.

See Microsoft's latest Windows 10 update may delete user files. If this has happened to you then all your user files, photos, music etc; and not only your text files as you report, will have been removed.

The webpage tells you how to get the back.

God bless Microsoft - the user's best friend :crazy:

Please upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max); or use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive for a larger file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

John_Ha wrote:It's a Windows 10 update problem where Windows 10 deletes all you user files.
If the user can open the files, then they haven't been deleted.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill wrote:If the user can open the files, then they haven't been deleted.
birthdaygirl1948 wrote: everything has been scrambled so they are totally unreadable
Depending on what "scrambled" means it suggests .odt files are full of nul characters. While AOO appears to be able to do that on rare occasions it does it to only one .odt file at a time. This user is reporting it has been done to all files which means it cannot be AOO - it must be something external. Also they may be .rtf, .doc or .docx files.

It is why I asked for a file to be uploaded so it can be analysed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.