File locked for editing by unknown user

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mmepeabody1037

File locked for editing by unknown user

Post by mmepeabody1037 »

I utilized Open Office Documents to create a text document. When I saved it, I saved it as a .doc
When I tried to open it to continue with my writing, it opened with all of the text as pound signs ( # ). I found the locked temp file and deleted it as I saw in a posting on this site. It still did not open. I tried converting it into another file. Nothing has worked so far. Does anyone know how I can retrieve this file somehow?
:crazy:
Trish
Open Office 4 on Windows 8 Vista
RoryOF

Re: file locked for editing by unknown user

Post by RoryOF »

A file that opens as ### is damaged - possibly because of over-hasty power off of the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to disk.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS