Calc find/replace with carriage return bug?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
smithsj

Calc find/replace with carriage return bug?

Post by smithsj »

Hi all,

I'm trying to find something (a pipe buffered by two spaces), and replace it with a simple carriage return. What I'm doing is opening Find & Replace, entering the escaped pipe (backslah, then pipe) into the "Search for" box, entering a space, a backslash, an 'n', and then a space into the "Replace with" box, and then going into More Options and checking "Regular expressions." When I do this, it correctly identifies what I want to find, but it replaces them all with a backslash and then an n! What's weird about it is when I replace the n with a t, it replaces everything with a tab, as it should. Just not when I try to replace it with a carriage return. What is going on here?? Is it a bug (I had an older version of OpenOffice, but I just updated it and it's still happening), or am I missing something?

It's driving me nuts!

Thanks,
Stephen
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS 10.12.6
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Calc find/replace with carriage return bug?

Post by floris v »

OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
smithsj

Post by smithsj »

I'll try that, but everybody else seems to be able to get the \n thing to work...why can't I?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the Find and Replace Window drop More Options and select Regular Expressions
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

It may not work in Calc, on purpose.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
smithsj

Post by smithsj »

RoryOF – as I said in my original post, I did that.
Floris V – I do believe I've gotten this to work in the past. And other people seem to have gotten it to work. Could somebody check on their version and see if it does?