File lost?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
loanmaker

File lost?

Post by loanmaker »

HI. I am an author and 30 mins ago I was finishing off a new chapter in my book when - i might have hit a key or a command bu the screen I was entering text onto disappeared and was replaced by a new file blank screen. I tried the 'back' button but there was nothing. I tried to open the file again but there was only the new blank file screen. I also lost my bottom windows bar with shortcuts and I couldn't get my windows command to open. I decided to use ctrl/alt/del and shut down the computer and re started - every other command would't work. When I re started and opened OO again the only file with the title was the blank page which replaced the 50 or so pages of text from my book. I had backed up until yesterday but have still lost a good 15 pages from today and this was all new stuff. Does anyone have any idea about a) what might have happened and b) is there anything I can do to get back the text file? loanmaker
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Lost files

Post by RoryOF »

Two things to do as soon as possible: Use the methods outlined in the tutorial to try to recover temporary files
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files

If that doesn't work, download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it search for delete files. You may need to rename any found to the filetype in use.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS