Openoffice calc "Error saving the document"

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Shkhay

Openoffice calc "Error saving the document"

Post by Shkhay »

I seem to be getting a strange issue with OpenOffice calc, hopefully someone can give me advise where to start looking for a solution.

I open an ODS file and edit it and save, fine. But sometimes and for no readily apparent reason it refuses to save the document with the error message:
"Error saving the document <filename>: Write error. The file could not be written".

I have upgraded my version of OpenOffice but the issue remains. Once it starts with that error the only way to save the file is to actually abandon my change and restart OOffice. Today I lost an hours stuff as the auto save was also failing but not giving me any warning it was failing.

I'm not sure if this is an OpenOffice, file system, Fedora or permissions issue though I've not noticed anything similar with other applications. Have set permissions to 777 but still get the error.

Nothing in /var/log that indicates a problem. Does OO keep any log files somewhere?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 ||| Windows 10 x64
my new article
RoryOF

Re: Openoffice calc "Error saving the document"

Post by RoryOF »

Are you saving to a local drive or a drive on your local network?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mikebristol33

Post by mikebristol33 »

Same problem here. The file is protected and I can't get it to save. I get the same error it says it can't find the file. Should I reinstall OpenOffice?
Mike Bristol Open Office 4.1.6
mikebristol33

Post by mikebristol33 »

I'm having a similar issue. I can open a spreadsheet on my desktop, edit it, but when I try to save it I get error code:
"File not found. Check the file name and try again"

Tried to follow that advice and, of course, it was a closed loop.

When I have opened a new document and did some editing, trying to save it gets me the following:
"Error saving the document. General input/output error"

Again, a very unhelpful error message.

The document worked very well until recently. I tried the same thing on an older computer and it worked fine. So, I'm thinking I've done something wrong in upgrading to 4.2.6.

Can anyone help?
Mike Bristol Open Office 4.1.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

With OpenOffice closed, go to the location in which you were unable to Save. Turn on viewing of hidden and archive files and if there is a lock file there, of form

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFileName.ods#

delete it. Any other lock files may also be deleted, provided OpenOffice is closed.

Go to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\ and again enable viewing of hidden and archive files. If there is a lock file there, of form

Code: Select all

.lock
delete this.

You have now removed any left-over lock files. If your Save problem persists it is likely that it is now due to improper file permissions on your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS