Lost: a custom gallery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
AndrewKRobinson

Lost: a custom gallery

Post by AndrewKRobinson »

Updating NeoOffice means I have lost a large collection of chord diagrams that I had put into the ClipArt gallery, as New Themes. Any hope of retrieving these?

I retrieved my previous version of NeoOffice and can see the diagrams where I put them, but the old NeoOffice won't respond under the new Mac OS.
~Andrew
NeoOffice 2017.15 on MacOs Mojave 10.14.1
MrProgrammer

Re: Lost: a custom gallery

Post by MrProgrammer »

AndrewKRobinson wrote:Updating NeoOffice means I have lost a large collection of chord diagrams that I had put into the ClipArt gallery, as New Themes. Any hope of retrieving these?
I use neither NeoOffice, Mojave, nor Gallery Themes, but I think NeoOffice may have stored the themes in your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-{something} folder. I don't know the rest of the path but perhaps user/gallery. You would need a copy of the preferences you were using with your old version of NeoOffice, so check Finder on your system to see what's available. Since I haven't used Gallery Themes I don't know how successful you will be at simply copying the files from an old directory to your current one. I will guess that Mojave is like MacOS 10.11 and will not display your Library directory unless you press the Option key when displaying your home directory.

Certainly make backups before you perform any changes and don't make any changes in Finder to NeoOffice files while NeoOffice is running. If you're not experienced in making changes to NeoOffice system files, it may be less work to rebuild the clip art with the standard user interface. The New Theme interface has an Add dialog which I think lets you install large sets of pictures at once, assuming that you still have the chord diagram pictures available outside NeoOffice.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02 discusses the user profile (which is the OpenOffice equivalent of NeoOffice preferences). Q23/A23 Q24/A24 discuss backup and restore procedures on Macs. Much of the material in this tutorial won't apply in your situation but perhaps it will give you some ideas.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
AndrewKRobinson

Thank you. I can't find any ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice files; if I go to Library under Macintosh HD I see many folders but none marked NeoOffice.
~Andrew
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

AndrewKRobinson wrote:I can't find any ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice files
I don't use NeoOffice so look at OpenOffice → Preferences → OpenOffice → Paths → Gallery.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
AndrewKRobinson

Thank you! I found the same menu in NeoOffice but it only gave me the option to "Mark the default path for new files"
~Andrew
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look again in ~/Library /Preferences and see are there any <something>office files. These may be what you require.
 Edit: On my Xubuntu computer the path is /home/<username>/.openoffice/4/user/gallery/ The .openoffice is a hidden directory and requires a setting changed to allow it be seen. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS