[Solved] Saving AOO docs to other drives/directories

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Padeen

[Solved] Saving AOO docs to other drives/directories

Post by Padeen »

I no longer have MS Office on my computer; in its place I've installed OO 4.1.6. When I open an MS Office doc (spreadsheet this time) and modify it, the program opens the doc nicely, and I can modify it. So far, so good!!! But when I try to save the doc, OO puts it in some obscure, buried, inscrutable file location on my OS drive, and doesn't give me a chance or choice where I (that's me) want to save it. How can I tell OO to store my files on my data drive, which is backed up regularly, and which, with a sensible, accessible, reasonable, and personalized file structure, I can manipulate as I wish, and is in no danger of MS deciding I no longer need?
Thanks for any help!
Padeen
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Saving OO docs to other drives/directories

Post by RoryOF »

Set the default Save location in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Padeen

Post by Padeen »

Thanks Rory, that seemed reasonable, and I did change some of those targets. But isn't there a way to decide in which location each document is to reside as it is being closed?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can use the navigation buttons in the/File /Save As dialog to move to any directory before you Save As.
Padeen

Post by Padeen »

Thanks, that would certainly be convenient. I wonder why I didn't find that the first time I looked . . .
clarrieu

Re: [Solved] Saving AOO docs to other drives/directories

Post by clarrieu »

I have read many posts on this forum, including other threads on this topic. It seems to be a widespread problem with no one solution.

In the course of my research I have: installed java runtime environment, changed file associations via Microsoft facility, and even changed the default file path under the tools/options/path to the specific drive and folder necessary.

After a close and restart of OO after each change, still no files displayed. :crazy:

It seems to me that the issue is that file trees do not appear, and the function just is not in the OO code

Yes, I can click on a file, and OO opens just fine. This is livable, but in the end it is just a kluge. I'm looking for a real solution. for a real solution, which is the opening of a file tree when one clicks on file/open, or using the folder icon

Thank you
Open Office 4.1.6 Windows 10
clarrieu

Post by clarrieu »

PS the file/save as does not open the file tree either :(
clarrieu

Post by clarrieu »

RoryOF wrote:Set the default Save location in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths
Done that. Doesn't save to the path specified in the options/patch setting. To make matters worse, docs are apparently not saved at all anywhere.

Both save and save as are not working at all. I just tested with two dummy files, freshly created. Tried both save and save as from the menu and from the icons. When I try to close OO I get a reminder that the files have not been saved. MAJOR problem.

PS no such probs with any other app I use.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot advise further; I am able to save any type of OpenOffice file to any folder on my local computer or on my network to which I have read/write/create permissions.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

clarrieu wrote:PS no such probs with any other app I use.
The Windows dialogs have a navigation pane. The OpenOffice dialogs do not. Select Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General and uncheck the "Use OpenOffice dialogs" option. OpenOffice will then use the Windows dialogs that other apps use. If that doesn't help, then please upload some screen shots of the dialogs for OpenOffice and for some other app that shows the "file tree". On my Manjaro Mate system, none of the system dialogs show a "file tree". That is a feature of the file manager only.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04