[Solved] Correct install? No templates. Downloaded to disk D

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ag1

[Solved] Correct install? No templates. Downloaded to disk D

Post by ag1 »

Windows 10 home 64 bit on computer with small SSD C: drive and large D: harddrive.
I downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.1 to D: drive and then did default install. It appears most of the functionality has gone onto C: drive.

Now I would like to write my resume and cover letter to apply for a job. It appears that some templates or samples are intended to be visible but I do not see them. It would be useful to have some documents with styles so I can see how to use them in OpenOffice. I am coming from being a mac and ios user, experienced with styles in those contexts.

Has the fact that I downloaded the installation files to drive D: before running default install (seemingly to C:) resulted in no template or sample files present? Or do you only get templates if you "Get more templates online..." and make them available at correct place according to path?

If I should already be seeing some templates or sample files, what do I need to do to fix my installation so I get them? How will I assure that drive D: becomes the default location for documents I create?
Last edited by ag1 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1, Windows 10 home
robleyd

Re: Correct install? See no templates. Downloaded to disk

Post by robleyd »

Where are you looking for templates? What do you see when you go to File | New | Templates and Documents?
How will I assure that drive D: becomes the default location for documents I create?

Set your preferred file locations in Tools | Options | OpenOffice | Paths
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
ag1

Post by ag1 »

Thanks much for help. Now when I go to File | New | Templates and Documents what I see is the templates I downloaded to a location I made on drive D: and added to the preferred locations using Tools | Options | OpenOffice | Paths.

Was there supposed to be anything in the default path before the edit? For me, that path was C:\Users\AG\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\template.
OpenOffice 4.1.1, Windows 10 home
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Nope; that is where your templates are stored; if you didn't add any before you changed the default location, the old location would be empty.

The only 'default' templates that seem to come with AOO are a few presentation templates which appear under the Templates icon in File | New | Templates and Documents
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers