OO doesn't recognize drive

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
odehart

OO doesn't recognize drive

Post by odehart »

OO has suddenly stopped recognizing the drive on which I store my data. All other applications recognize that drive. How can I fix this. W10 Pro MSI mobo AMD Ryzen gpu
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Install, Setup and Troubleshooting forum to MS Windows
Windows 7 / Open Office 3.4.1
RoryOF

Re: OO doesn't recognize drive

Post by RoryOF »

What happens if you, outside of OpenOffice, double click an OO file on that drive?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What are the symptoms of "stopped recognizing the drive"? I thought that it was the operating system that recognizes drives, not individual applications. Has Windows 10 started blocking OpenOffice in some way? It's happened before after Windows 10 updates.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
odehart

Post by odehart »

As noted in my question, everything recognizes my E: drive except OO. If I click on an OO document using File Explorer [from the Task Bar to see E: ], OO opens and displays the document. But no other OO document can be opened by clicking on File Open. Doing so opens a File Explorer screen where E: does not appear. However, when I click on File Explorer in the Task Bar, E: does appear and is accessible. My E: is a WD Elements external drive. Oh, when I open an OO document using File Explorer I have full edit/delete/save/copy rights and the edited document is saved to, you guessed it, E:. How can that be?
My last resort would be reinstalling OO. Do either of you think that is the only way to go? I know hardware but not software.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't recall ever seeing this happen when I used Windows 10, but something may have changed recently. Please post a screen shot of the File Explorer screen that opens when you use File Open.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Oh, when I open an OO document using File Explorer I have full edit/delete/save/copy rights and the edited document is saved to, you guessed it, E:. How can that be?
This is due to the fact that the drive access was via the operating system directly rather than an indirect method, which most (though not all) programs normally use.
I don't think reinstalling OpenOffice will help.
You state that your E drive is external. What is the interface type? I've run across similar problems with USB and Firewire drives do to a temporary miscommunication between the drive and the software access protocols.
Regretfully, if this is the case, there isn't anything I've found to prevent it. Normally reading/writing to an external drive is frowned upon on this forum as external drives can lose communication with the system possibly causing data loss when writing to the drive.
If you have to use the external drive, we recommend that you save your file(s) to your internal drive, then copy them to your external drive.
Personally I also recommend that you verify the contents of the file copied to the file saved. If the verification is good, then you can delete the saved file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
odehart

Post by odehart »

USB Of course, I have been using this drive for over a year with no problems. It seems to me that this is not a temporary miscommunication as OO can save to the file. Without data loss. So in some sense OO is communicating. But as I noted, I'm not much on software problems, especially diagnosing them. So I'll take your advice as well as reinstalling OO on the off chance that that will solve the problem.
markcowell23

Post by markcowell23 »

RusselB wrote:
Oh, when I open an OO document using File Explorer I have full edit/delete/save/copy rights and the edited document is saved to, you guessed it, E:. How can that be?
This is due to the fact that the drive access was via the operating system directly rather than an indirect method, which most (though not all) programs normally use.
I don't think reinstalling OpenOffice will help.
You state that your E drive is external. What is the interface type? I've run across similar problems with USB and Firewire drives do to a temporary miscommunication between the drive and the software access protocols. Regretfully, if this is the case, there isn't anything
best washing machine in india I've found to prevent it. Normally reading/writing to an external drive is frowned upon on this forum as external drives can lose communication with the system possibly causing data loss when writing to the drive.
If you have to use the external drive, we recommend that you save your file(s) to your internal drive, then copy them to your external drive.
Personally I also recommend that you verify the contents of the file copied to the file saved. If the verification is good, then you can delete the saved file.
Should I update my driver because i'M facing same issue
Last edited by markcowell23 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that OO will recognise the drive if the computer is started with the drive plugged in.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It may help to use a different tool to access the file system. OpenOffice has the option to use the OS-provided file management tool (which AFAIK is an instance of Windows Explorer) or a builtin file management.
  • Menu item: Tools - Options
  • Left pane: expand the top branch (OpenOffice) and select item General
  • Right pane (dialog area): Toggle the checkbox in section Open/Save dialogs
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For some things, such as fonts, OO only recognises what is available on its startup. So if a user installs fonts after OO has started, OO won't see them. It may be similar with drives.