[Solved] AOO does not remember path of original document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mishak20

[Solved] AOO does not remember path of original document

Post by mishak20 »

Problem:
OpenOffice does not remember to let the original document when saving to Windows 7 and higher. On Windows XP, no problem.
Explanation: I create a document on the Desktop and save it here. I open another document in a different folder (for example: c:\1) and when you click "Save As" a path from the last save is offered - the Desktop, you have to point it to the required folder "c: \1" and save. Then, if you open another document from another folder (c:\2), then when you save it via "Save As", let the last save be delivered - "c:\1".
How to make OpenOffcice remember to let the document open for "save as".

Additionally: in LibreOffice and Microsoft Office there is no such problem - I checked it.

Tell me how to fix it?

UPD:
Addition: OpenOffice does not remember the path of the original document with Russian characters.
Longer tested the problem and revealed the following:
the path of the opening is not tracked if the document is opened from a subfolder with a Russian name, for example, "Новая папка". In this case, the proposed path to the past. Installing Language Pack (Russian) did not help.
I attach video evidence on youtube: https://youtu.be/QN0pqb1_Yb0
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 / Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice does not remember the path of the original do

Post by RoryOF »

I have just made a quick test: OpenOffice will Save As to the path of the current document opened for editing. If you wish to Save As to the path of the first document, you must use /Window to switch to that document; then Save As will save to that location.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mishak20

Post by mishak20 »

Addition: OpenOffice does not remember the path of the original document with Russian characters.
Longer tested the problem and revealed the following:
the path of the opening is not tracked if the document is opened from a subfolder with a Russian name, for example, "Новая папка". In this case, the proposed path to the past. Installing Language Pack (Russian) did not help.
I attach video evidence on youtube: https://youtu.be/QN0pqb1_Yb0
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I believe you - it is generally agreed that the best character set for file names is the standard ASCII characters, without accented or regional characters.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mishak20

Re: AOO does not remember the path of the original document

Post by mishak20 »

The problem is not solved.
In the Windows XP operating system, OpenOffice normally remembers even with non-standard characters, for example, with Russians, when saving a document.

And in the Windows 7/8/10 operating system, Open Office does not remember to let the file open.
At the same time, there is no such problem in LibreOffice. LibreOffice remembers let open the document. Video publishing uploaded on youtube: https://youtu.be/8d2BhskaB2Y

May localized operating systems for Russia - in Russian, I also tested the LibreOffice and OpenOffice programs in Russian. In my organization, OpenOffice is used as standard software. And after Windows XP is no longer supported, and we started upgrading computers to Windows 7/10, we had the above problem.

Is it possible to solve this problem or not? There is a solution? What do you advise?
Using standard ASCII is not an option for us. Or does OpenOffice no longer evolve and is it worth switching to LibreOffice?
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

AOO should always know - and show - the URL (in fact the file's pathname) of the active document. If you didn't disable it there should be a 'LoadURL' control leftmost in the 'Standard' toolbar. What is there shown?

If the ULR is correctly displayed there we can be sure the document remembers its URL.
However, the dialogue opened by 'Save As...' may be initialised in a wrong way. A first hunch of mine would be to suspect the user profile to be corrupted.

(Did you once look for the document property ThisComponent.URL in the Basic IDE?)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
mishak20

Post by mishak20 »

The URL on the toolbar is different from the URL when saving via "Save as", when there are Russian characters, the URL is substituted in "Save as" last used, where there are no Russian characters.

The user profile is not corrupted, I specifically created a new user, also I tried on different computers.

The problem with OpenOffice is in the operating system Windows 7/8/10, but it is not in Windows XP.

LibreOffice has no problems with paths with Russian characters.

So I recorded a video to demonstrate this: show how it works in OpenOffice and LibreOffice - https://youtu.be/jT6-D2N8S6Y

There might be some ideas in solving this problem?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There might be some ideas in solving this problem?
Use the LibreOffice. The speed of the development of the Apache OpenOffice is very slow today. I suppose this problem will not fixed in the next years.
If you can not fix the problen in the source code, then the best way for you to change to LibreOffice.
(Yes, you must work a lot around the changing: you need choose the optimal version of the LibreOffice, you must install them on the machines... etc...)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
mishak20

Post by mishak20 »

Thanks.
Subject can be close.