[Solved] Calc crashes everytime I try to edit a macro

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
S Del

[Solved] Calc crashes everytime I try to edit a macro

Post by S Del »

Hello
I have seen this kind of posts, but the proposed solutions do not work for me.
I have been using AOO for years. I wrote a lot of macros in OpenOffice Basic.
For a few weeks, Calc kept crashing when I tried to save, at least once out of three. My work-around was to save every few cells entered, so i did not have to redo a lot of things. It was very bothering. But I could manage.
Since yesterday, I cannot edit any macro. Every try ends by a crash. Running the macro works fine.

I uninstalled the product, downloaded the latest version, made a new installation, removed my user profile, got prompted for new informations at the following restart, shut-down end restart Windows 10...

What else can I do ? :crazy:
I urgently need to update one macro and cannot.
HELP !

BTW, I uninstalled the Windows 10 updates from august and I am at the latest level
KB4462919
Attachments
MAJ_Win10_KB4462919.jpg
The only message I get
The only message I get
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved from Install, Setup and Troubleshooting forum to MS Windows
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Calc crashes everytime I try to edit a macro

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I have seen similar issues. When I made a copy of the document it inherited the same problems as the original but I did have some success by creating a new empty document and repopulating it with data and macros.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

I understand it in this way: There is an error in the macro and it crashed OpenOffice complete. In such cases I set the macro security to real high so the macro will not run. Now the macro can be edit. For testing the macro-security must been set to the original level.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
S Del

Post by S Del »

I tried creating a new ods, and create a new macro inside... crash
The only macro I can edit is the one in MyMacros
Attachments
test.ods.jpg
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you restarted Windows since the last Windows update? If not, try that.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

S Del, have you tried LibreOffice?
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
S Del

Post by S Del »

I did several reboots of Windows 10 and still impossible to access the macro editor.
S Del

Post by S Del »

Is there a way to extract the source code of my macros and export it to a text file so I can edit them until this bug is solved ? The problem seems to stem in the macro editor that crashes everytimes, not in the macro themselves as I can execute them without problem.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Is there a way to extract the source code of my macros and export it to a text file so I can edit them until this bug is solved ?
Where you stored the macros in the question? Into the documents or into the MyMacros of the User profile?

Can you access to the User profile od the Apache Openoffice by a file manager software? (Try it with some old style "Commander" software like the "Unreal Commander" otr the "Free Commander" - if the Windows file managers not work...)

You can save/backup all of the User profile directory that contains your macros onto a safety place. The macro files are located in the subdirectory in the path
c:\Users\YourWindowsuserName\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user\basic\Standard\
on Win7, and I suppose it is something similar on the Win 10 (I am using a permanently installed LibreOffice , and some portable versions of the AOO and LO)

Have you tried the permanently installed LibreOffice and/or the portable versions of the AOO/LO? The portable versions store the macros (and all of the files of the User Profile) in the program directory, but not in the System/User directory of the Windows. And you can copy (not install, but copy it only) the portable version anywhere on your HDD. Try the winPenPack versions where you have read/write rights.
http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?list.37
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
S Del

Re: [Solved] Calc crashes everytime I try to edit a macro

Post by S Del »

I uninstalled ALL Windows 10 updates for august and october and now the macro editor is working again.
If someone can have an explanation of what in Windows 10 upsets AOO, it would be great.
I hope no later Windows 10 modification will crash AOO again.
skiguide

Post by skiguide »

If I may, it's highly unlikely that Windows will never be updated again. So this is not a "solved" problem. The source of the issue between AOO and Windows 10 has to be resolved in order for this to be resolved. All the macro editor is is basically a text editor, so why it won't run seems t be a fundamental problem. I suspect there is a different solution than removing updates, and as I have 1000's of lines of code which are inaccessible currently I'm not in a good situation.
Open Office 4.1.3 on ArchLinux
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It has been reported that clicking "Check for Updates" in Windows 10 can install unstable Windows 10 updates which haven't been fully tested. Most users should allow Windows to manage the updates and never manually check for updates. This could be one explanation why some users seem to have so much trouble with AOO on Windows 10.

Don’t Click “Check for Updates” Unless You Want Unstable Windows 10 Updates
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
texmex

Post by texmex »

How was this solved. I have exactly the same problem. I have a couple of little macros but if I attempt to edit anything else now, it crashes. Looking through this thread I can't find a solution, yet it's marked "Solved"
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

S Del wrote:I uninstalled ALL Windows 10 updates for august and october and now the macro editor is working again
The user starting the topic apparently was satisfied as they marked the topic solved.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
texmex

Post by texmex »

Thanks robleyd. I decided to be a bit more selective about which updates to uninstall. More by luck than judgement, the first one I uninstalled seemed to do the trick. This was the one named KB4506991
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
S Del

Post by S Del »

Hello. I moved from OpenOffice to LibreOffice and the problem vanished.