Automatically opening backups (not recovering backups)

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
szwanger

Automatically opening backups (not recovering backups)

Post by szwanger »

This is not a question about how to recover backups. I already have the backups recovered.

My laptop restarted automatically. Normally when it does this, I start OpenOffice and it offers to reload/recover all the documents I was working on previously. However, sometimes there's a problem with the User profile and instead of reloading my previous documents, OpenOffice asks me to register. Then I have to manually reload all the documents I was working on. There are more than 10, so "recent documents" isn't helpful.

Two questions.
1) After I re-register, is there a way to reload all these documents at once? (Note that they are all in different folders, and reloading them individually is quite time-consuming.)
2) Is there a way to set OpenOffice to automatically load a large group of specific documents when I open it?
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Automatically opening backups (not recovering backups)

Post by Hagar Delest »

If AOO asks for re-registration, then it means that it lost the context of the previous session. So nothing to be done I guess.

To open a group of document, a macro should do that.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Automatically opening backups (not recovering backups)

Post by RoryOF »

When OO asks for re-registration it is a sign that OO closed or was closed irregularly, before its internal housekeeping was compete and written to disk. You should always close OO properly using /File /Close or /File /Quit, or (shudder!) the X in top right. Then allow a few seconds for it to complete housekeeping before switching off your computer or snapping a laptop lid shut. After the "it is safe to power down" message, wait for disk activity to cease (while the drive internal buffers are flushed to disk).

Do not allow a computer to sleep/hibernate with an OO file open.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS