[Solved] Importing from my old PC

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
jmp8

[Solved] Importing from my old PC

Post by jmp8 »

I just bought a new PC. My old one had Open Office and I had a lot of information stored on it. Can I import my files to this PC? My old one cannot be turned on and I am not very techie. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.5.1 on a Dell PC
robleyd

Re: Importing from my old PC

Post by robleyd »

If you can't turn on your old computer then you will not be able to do anything with it if as you say "I am not very techie".

However, it may be possible to put your old hard drive in another computer and then copy your files; this of course would need to be done by someone experienced in such matters. Possibly the place you purchased your new machine might be able to help.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

For the future: Always create more than one backup copy of your important files onto different type removable media: Thumb drive, USB HDD/SSD, Cloud, CD/DVD, another PC... etc.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you can obtain access to your files they will read with OpenOffice on your new computer. If the old computer cannot be turned on, then as robleyd says the hard drive can be transferred to another computer and the files copied. However, if the hard drive itself has failed you are in to very (read: extremely) expensive data recovery. You should consult with a local computer shop, where you have one to one interaction with a technician (not a sales-suit).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jmp8

Post by jmp8 »

Thank you everyone. My daughter came over this evening and took my old PC home. She apparently knows how to get to the hard drive and transfer things. Thanks again!
Open Office 4.5.1 on a Dell PC