[Solved] Help with .bak

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
loanmaker

[Solved] Help with .bak

Post by loanmaker »

HI I am an author and have been using OO prcessing saving my work each day on USB sticks - all find until today.

I have worked all day on a new book and done a few chapters. When I come to save my work on OO I get an error message telling me
Error saving the document
Error creating object
Could not create back -up copy.

Previously, OO crashed and I got a message saying my work could be recovered however, when it restarted the odt file which is open cannot be closed because of the error message plus, all the work I did today has disappeared. ARGH!

I can't safely eject the USB Stick . Get a message This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using this device and then try again.
I am now concerned all the work - two months on the USB Stick will be lost if I simply take it out.

So, How can I save the work into the existing file, Stop this .bak message and, any way I can recover the lost work for today?

HELP!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: help with .bak

Post by RoryOF »

For recovery try the methods set out in this tutorial on recovering temporary OO files
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
loanmaker

Re: Help with .bak

Post by loanmaker »

Guys,

Thank you all so much. I managed ( not totally sure how) to recover my lost work and triple backed it up in USB Sticks.

I did most of the things you all suggested and finally achieved success.

It seemed to surround the .bak situation - everything being backed up so there were lots of versions of the same file.

Anyway, all sorted.

LOANMAKER
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10