Text Docs cannot be opened

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Luke007

Text Docs cannot be opened

Post by Luke007 »

My laptop battery inadvertently came loose while I had 5 or 6 documents open and when I restarted the pc and tried to open the documents, my documents listing on file explorer listed these documents with the word lock preceeding the title. Opening them just gave a two line description, not, for example the 165 page document that I tried to open. The same occurred with the other documents and they also showed the word lock preceding the title. Can I "unlock" or otherwise retrieve these file or will I need to have a computer shop retrieve them for me.
Thanks for any help!
Open Office 4.15, Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Text Docs cannot be opened

Post by FJCC »

Files whose name start with .~lock are made when you open a file and are there to mark that the real file is open. These files are normally deleted when the file is closed but a crash can cause them to remain. These files are very small and never contain the actual document. Your real files should be in the same folder. If you can't see them, that is very scary. Take a look at this tutorial on recovering temporary files: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.