OO docs lost after recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mikebell

OO docs lost after recovery

Post by mikebell »

When I open OO after shutting down I always got a recovery message and OO recovered my unsaved documents, I lost them now, never got the recovery message, help!!!
openoffice 4.1.1
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: OO docs lost after recovery

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Anything you want to keep should be saved before shutting down, and make sure to wait a few seconds after closing OpenOffice before shutting down your computer. Failure to follow those guidelines can result in lost documents.
You might find some help here
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OO docs lost after recovery

Post by John_Ha »

mikebell wrote:When I open OO after shutting down I always got a recovery message and OO recovered my unsaved documents
Always make sure you complete the recovery process so as to delete the lock file which causes the recovery process to start. Check by starting AOO - it should now start without offering to recover.
mikebell wrote: I lost [my files]
You say you have lost more than one file which is extremely unusual - and extremely unlikely. Click Start. Type *.odt (or *.doc etc) in the Search box. Press Enter. Click Show more files. This lists every .odt (or .doc etc) file on the PC.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.