Spreadsheet crashed

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ACE910046SCA1

Spreadsheet crashed

Post by ACE910046SCA1 »

I'm trying to run OO ver 4.1.5 on Windows 10. Every time I try to perform a search in Calc it crashes. Initially it was giving me a fatal error that read:
"void_thiscall
framework::Autorecovery::implts_collectActiveViewNames(struct framework::AutoRecovery::TDocucmentInfo &), need at document, at the very least"

When I tried searching that in hopes of finding the cause I instead found links describing where to find the files to be recovered and how autorecovery works and nothing on the cause of the crash due to fatal error. :crazy:

I checked to make certain I'm running the latest version, I am.

I tried deleting the files created by autorecovery and skipping the autorecovery on opening the file, no change in behaviour or error.

I tried re-running OO's installation to repair it, no change in behaviour or error.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no change in behaviour or error.

Because the problem didn't arise until after Windows most recent major update (on 8/3/18), I went back to the restore point prior to that update. Now it still crashes as soon as I try to search in Calc, but without the fatal error, and alerts me that the file has been saved, so I let it retrieve the file but as soon as I run the search it crashes again. I also tried not running autrecovery but the OO crash problem persists.

I again tried to run repair, but I'm being warned that I need to close Windows Explorer. Since that's not a viable option, I tried ignore. OO crash problem persists.

I again tried to uninstall OO and reinstall it, OO crash persists.

I really like OO and have been running it for years, and I'd rather not have to go to another software like Libre as OO is far closer in style and layout to Excel.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: spreadsheet crashed

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums, and I'm sorry you're having such a problem.
After reading all of the options that you have tried, the only thing that occurs to me to try, is a profile reset, as described in [Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If RusselB's suggestion doesn't resolve the problem, try starting Windows in Safe Mode and see if the problem persists. If not, some detective work will be needed to figure out what service or application Windows loads normally, but isn't loaded in Safe Mode, is causing the issue.
I'm being warned that I need to close Windows Explorer. Since that's not a viable option
Why is that not an option? Windows Explorer is only a file manager - don't confuse closing it with closing explorer.exe.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Spreadsheet crashed

Post by John_Ha »

Have you checked with a different spreadsheet file? It may be a corrupted file causing the crash.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ACE910046SCA1

Post by ACE910046SCA1 »

I'm being warned that I need to close Windows Explorer. Since that's not a viable option
Why is that not an option? Windows Explorer is only a file manager - don't confuse closing it with closing explorer.exe.
It's not a viable option because I was still getting that even when the only window open was OO, which means it wants me to close my desktop (also a part of Windows Explorer). :knock:
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ACE910046SCA1 wrote:
It's not a viable option because I was still getting that even when the only window open was OO, which means it wants me to close my desktop (also a part of Windows Explorer). :knock:
Did you try closing OO? I don't think you can repair OO while it's running.

Does the error really say "Windows Explorer"? Windows 10 should have File Explorer, not Windows Explorer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
ACE910046SCA1

Post by ACE910046SCA1 »

Bill wrote:
ACE910046SCA1 wrote:
Did you try closing OO? I don't think you can repair OO while it's running.

Does the error really say "Windows Explorer"? Windows 10 should have File Explorer, not Windows Explorer.
It specifically says:
"The following applications are using files that need to be updated by this setup. Close these applications and click Retry to continue."
The listed applications exactly as listed:
Windows Explorer (Process Id: 5096)

I looked that process ID up on my system, and the program is specifically explorer.exe. No confusion on my part.
ACE910046SCA1

Post by ACE910046SCA1 »

Minor clarification. The only window open was the OO 4.1.5 installation window where I was running the repair was the only thing of OO that was running. If it had been an option, I would have simply installed OO over top of itself (an old school method of fixing previous installs that still sometimes works). In this case my option are to Modify, Repair, or Uninstall. Modify didn't give me any useful options and I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. That left repairing. My last repair explains the problem there.
ACE910046SCA1

Post by ACE910046SCA1 »

Bit of an overall update on what I've been trying since my original post. I thank all for suggestions.

I tried the profile reset. No joy, problem persists.

I tried rebooting into Safe Mode but I haven't succeeded in finding how to do that. I pulled up the instructions via Google search, but when I followed said instructions rebooting into Safe Mode I wasn't able to locate that as an option where it was supposed to be. :knock:

In the meantime, I've found that the problem is strictly limited to performing a search from the search bar in Calc, and it makes no difference which spreadsheet file I'm looking at or the type of spreadsheet (.ods or .xls). Search & Replace still works with no issues. (Most of the time I'm simply trying to verify the presence or absence of a specific value anywhere on a given sheet [and whether it shows up multiple times or not], so a simple search from the search bar is preferred.)

Out of curiosity/desperation, I installed Libre and checked to see if that would have the same problem. It doesn't. (I still prefer OO all around.)

I've just now tried repairing the OO installation and hitting the Ignore icon-button when it wanted me to close explorer.exe. The result is that I need to reboot my computer, which is also going to reinstall the Windows update that I went back to the restore point prior to that update which eliminated the fatal error when I tried to search but not the crash issue itself. What could possibly go wrong?
ACE910046SCA1

Post by ACE910046SCA1 »

I reinstalled the latest Windoze update (yes, I intentionally misspelled it as Windows always ran slower than DOS, and frankly if DOS were still a viable option I'd go back to it even with having to relearn the commands; but that's a separate gripe), the problem persists unchanged. At least it doesn't give me the original error anymore.

I've finally been able to access Safe Mode :bravo: and run OO Calc from there. The search box successfully ran my test search without crashing OO at all :) . I closed OO, rebooted into standard mode, and re-opened OO Calc. Just to be certain whether or not the problem is back and whenever I search from the search bar in OO Calc, upon completion of the search the problem returns. :ouch:

Now that we have cleared those hurdles, what's the next step? While I realize I can safely perform a search via Find & Replace, that's just a clumsy workaround and doesn't properly fix the problem.

Please still help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps build a new F&R toolbar, using F&R and the inbuilt customise commands, rather than the existing Find toolbar which is causing you problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill Sharkan

Post by Bill Sharkan »

I have the same problem. I restored my PC back to early July from a drive image to test. From that image I had no problem. Once I started to update Windows 10--I can't say what update it was--it crashed again after the update. So it's probably a windows update sometime from early July to now, i.e., September 2018.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

See if the suggestions in this topic which was raised recently provide a solution.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers