Corrupted ODT file!!!

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mudhoney

Corrupted ODT file!!!

Post by mudhoney »

Hi guys, my pc shut down and .odt the file i was working was corrupted. I tried all, the zip method and the rename of the temporary files but nothing worked. I try to give you the link on my google drive to a folder with the original corrupted odt files and the only two .tmp related files i've been able to find on C:\Users\mudho\AppData\Local\Temp
Hoping that someone will be able to help, thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OwEc5 ... PAzj0Br9WL
Open Office 4 on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Please Help Me with this corrupted ODT file!!!

Post by floris v »

The odt is lost - it's reduced to zeroes. The tmp seems to be lost as well. This problem seems to occur when OO closes prematurely, for instance if you unplug the pc or laptop while OO is still busy writing to the harddisk. I hope you have a back-up copy somewhere else, if not, you will have to start all over.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Please Help Me with this corrupted ODT file!!!

Post by John_Ha »

Both .odt and .tmp files are full of zeros - there is no user data.

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.