Installed windows and now Apache OO only shows hieroglyphics

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Aine

Installed windows and now Apache OO only shows hieroglyphics

Post by Aine »

Just installed windows yesterday and wrote my first word doc. OO and some files were open in the background. This morning when click on them my text is hieroglyphics and even the OO opening screen is in hieroglyphics. HELP! I thought if I opened my OO docs with OO there should be no issues. How can I save the information in my OO documents?
OpenOffice 4 on MacOS 10.9
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Installed windows and now Apache OO only shows hieroglyp

Post by jrkrideau »

Can you explain what you mean by Just installed windows yesterday. A dual boot? I take it you mean that you have also installed MS Office since you say that you wrote my first word doc

Sorry to ask what may be stupid questions but I have not used a Mac or Windows in years.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Aine

Post by Aine »

I have been using OO on my Mac up to now. As conversions to Word were not working smoothly when I needed to share docs I installed the microsoft office for mac package yesterday. Since then OO is only appearing in hieroglyphics. It looks like the microsoft package "interfered" with OO. What can I do to save my OO documents?
Aine

Post by Aine »

No I did not do that. I installed Office. Afterwards I went to work on an OO doc in OO but it was no longer readable and when I call up OO now the first OO screen is also just in hieroglyphics apart from the programme logos.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suggest that you reinstall OpenOffice; this will not delete your existing OO files. Microsoft installations often interfere with other editor/office packages.
 Edit: That the screens and files show in "hieroglyphics" suggests that a necessary font has been uninstalled; reinstalling OO should replace it. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS