Installed windows and now Apache OO only shows hieroglyphics

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Installed windows and now Apache OO only shows hieroglyphics

Postby Aine » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:56 am

Just installed windows yesterday and wrote my first word doc. OO and some files were open in the background. This morning when click on them my text is hieroglyphics and even the OO opening screen is in hieroglyphics. HELP! I thought if I opened my OO docs with OO there should be no issues. How can I save the information in my OO documents?
OpenOffice 4 on MacOS 10.9
Aine

Re: Installed windows and now Apache OO only shows hieroglyp

Postby jrkrideau » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Can you explain what you mean by Just installed windows yesterday. A dual boot? I take it you mean that you have also installed MS Office since you say that you wrote my first word doc

Sorry to ask what may be stupid questions but I have not used a Mac or Windows in years.
OpenOffice 4.1.6; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby Aine » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:33 pm

I have been using OO on my Mac up to now. As conversions to Word were not working smoothly when I needed to share docs I installed the microsoft office for mac package yesterday. Since then OO is only appearing in hieroglyphics. It looks like the microsoft package "interfered" with OO. What can I do to save my OO documents?
Aine

Postby MrProgrammer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:56 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Aine wrote:I installed the microsoft office for mac package yesterday.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q33/A33 or Q28/A28 or Q03/A03 (reinstall OpenOffice after installing Microsnot's software)
If you have an OpenOffice document and you altered it using Microsnot's software you may have damaged the document. Q23/A23

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby Aine » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:30 am

No I did not do that. I installed Office. Afterwards I went to work on an OO doc in OO but it was no longer readable and when I call up OO now the first OO screen is also just in hieroglyphics apart from the programme logos.
Aine

Postby RoryOF » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:58 am

I suggest that you reinstall OpenOffice; this will not delete your existing OO files. Microsoft installations often interfere with other editor/office packages.

Edit: That the screens and files show in "hieroglyphics" suggests that a necessary font has been uninstalled; reinstalling OO should replace it. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting