[Solved] Default template

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
tenorlove

[Solved] Default template

Post by tenorlove »

Earlier this week, I had to do the annual re-register the product, and waste a day trying to reset my custom settings. Well now, when I open a NEW document, there is already text present, instead of a blank document like I want. How do I fix this?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Office 4.1.1 Windows 8.1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: default template

Post by Villeroy »

tenorlove wrote:Earlier this week, I had to do the annual re-register the product,
You are using Microsoft Office, aren't you? This forum is about OpenOffice which is a free and open source office suite which can be downloaded and used without any registration. This forum is unrelated to Microsoft Office.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
tenorlove

Post by tenorlove »

No, I use Open Office.

And I managed to fix the problem by myself.
Office 4.1.1 Windows 8.1
tenorlove

Post by tenorlove »

Once a year, on July 1, Open Office requires me to put in my name, and goes back to the settings it had when it was originally installed: default fonts, default keyboard shortcuts, etc. And whatever the last document was that I used, goes to hashtags and is lost. Fortunately, I back up to the cloud every day.
Office 4.1.1 Windows 8.1
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Default template

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is something wrong then. AOO cannot do that. Are you sure you had installed the official version downloaded from the SourceForge site (link bottom right of this page)?
Any other application affected on your machine? Could be a system wide trouble.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

As Hagar says, 'AOO cannot do that'. I have been running AOO for 10--12 years and I have never seen anything like this.

Either you have some rogue version of AOO or there is something seriously wrong with your system. Do you have to annually register any other software on the machine that might somehow be affecting AOO?

The bizarre thing is that you are resetting elements of the profile. It usually is unaffected by AOO deletions or updates.

You might want to run some anti-virus and anti-malware software to see what's there.
Are you sure that you have installed the official verision of AOO? The link to the official download site is at the bottom right of the screen on the forum.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
tenorlove

Post by tenorlove »

I've had AOO on my computer for 4 years. This is like the 3rd time the settings went back to default -- TNR12 font, etc. It's the first time it destroyed a document. No other software has done this. I run antivirus weekly (auto-tasked). I checked the logs, and found nothing. It's working now, as I want it to. I'm religious about backing up files. And I plan to get another computer before tax season starts back up. Thanks everyone, for all your help and advice. Over and out.
Office 4.1.1 Windows 8.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I've had OOo/AOO on my computers for over 10 years. and it's never happened. Since you had a document destroyed, I suspect that you had a power outage that also destroyed your user profile. It's not something that makes any sense for OOo/AOO to do deliberately. You stated that you're using "Open Office", but "Open Office" is not a product name, it's a generic term that doesn't tell anyone what product is actually installed.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There are some tricky, fake web pages that propose you to download
"Open Office 2017", "Open Office 2018" (etc...) versions.

They are NOT Apache OpenOffice softwares, and they are not LibreOffice softwares. The true AOO and LO versions are not numbered by the years.

The official download pages:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.