Page 1 of 1

[Solved] Format error discovered in the file in sub-document

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 pm
by utilizator
Good afternoon

I have on a file that error

format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2.29325479

Can somebody help me ?

If yes i can send him a link where he can find that file.

I use it on google drive and since today i have that error.

Re: format error discovered in the file in sub-document cont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:06 pm
by FJCC
I sent a PM with an email address to which you can send the file.

Re: format error discovered in the file in sub-document cont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:51 pm
by utilizator
I have send to you the odt file.

Re: format error discovered in the file in sub-document cont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:59 pm
by John_Ha
utilizator also sent me the file.

Although the .ods file is only 1.7 MBytes, content.xml is 42 MBytes, and my Notepad ++ XML editor becomes non responsive when editing it. Fortunately I managed to run the XML Syntax Checker and was informed the problem lay at Column 29,325,479 with the word " pable ".

I therefore used HJ Split to split the file into 5 MByte parts and edited the 25 to 30 MByte bit. As can be seen from the image below " pable " should be " table ". I edited it back to " table ", rejoined the file, and re-inserted content.xml into the .odt file, and the file now opened for me.

This is the first time I have seen this error and it seems very strange to me - how has a " t " been changed into a " p "?

pable.gif
pable.gif (8.72 KiB) Viewed 915 times

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

Re: format error discovered in the file in sub-document cont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:19 pm
by RoryOF
I couldn't handle it, John - post cataract op today and limited closeup vision. The shift from t to p is a one bit reset; worth an indepth memory check.

Re: [Solved] format error discovered in the file in sub-docu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 pm
by utilizator
Thank you both for help, the file is back in business again.

I use that file in a folder connected with google drive and is for the first time when i have that problem.

Re: [Solved] Format error discovered in the file in sub-docu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:50 am
by John_Ha
utilizator send me the file which had failed again. This time the error was at Column 13,566,118 in content.xml, where "<pext:p>" appeared - it should have been "<text:p>". Editing it back to "<text:p>" allowed the file to be opened.

Note that, as before, a t (which in ASCII is octal 164 or 001 110 100) appears as a p (which in ASCII is octal 160 or 001 110 000) which is just one bit different. It could be a faulty bit in memory or a faulty bit on the disk when content.xml was written before being zipped. I doubt it was a fault when the .ods file was written as I do not think it likely that any corruption in the binary zip file would result in a single bit change when the .ods file was unzipped.

Re: [Solved] Format error discovered in the file in sub-docu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 am
by RoryOF
I strongly advise an indepth memory check of the computer, or even a new computer. I think this file will fail again on the current computer, perhaps beyond recovery.