Dowloading Documents from C drive to OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Garden Girl

Dowloading Documents from C drive to OpenOffice

Post by Garden Girl »

I just used installed Open Office 4.1.5 on my PD with Win 10. I was adding new templates from the online resource to the program and decided to close the browser. I got a warning that the downloads were not finished, thou I had installed them into the template app. So I closed the browser. I opened the template app to check over the templates to make sure and discovered that as I was downloading templates, the app was also acquiring my PC documents. How does this work? Does any of my personal work from Win Office 2007 get uploaded?
Open office version 4.1.5 operating system Windows 10.
FJCC

Re: Dowloading Documents from C drive to Open Office

Post by FJCC »

I am not sure what you mean by "the app was also acquiring my PC documents." OpenOffice does not upload any of your documents to the web. Did you download OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org? Are you just seeing your icons change from MS Office icons to OpenOffice icons? That just signifies which program will be used to open the files. The file content and location has not changed.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Garden Girl

Re: Dowloading Documents from C drive to OpenOffice

Post by Garden Girl »

Thank you for your quick response. I bought the CD through Amazon, so I have a disc for downloading and installation. I think that as I was working with the office program and installing some office forms and presentation templates, the program was capturing the contents of the Document folder and I closed the browser and the program at the same time, which interrupted the copying of the document folder, so I got the notice. I thought more about my upload question and realized it was unnecessary since there was no visible instructions or fields in the program. The timing of the warning field raised questions and since this is a new program for me with a new type of support. I am used to MS programs and the open source is a new experience: so far, it's a good one.
Open office version 4.1.5 operating system Windows 10.
RusselB

Re: Dowloading Documents from C drive to OpenOffice

Post by RusselB »

Sorry to say this, but you wasted your money buying that CD.
OpenOffice is available for free download and installation onto as many devices (usually computers) as you want.
The official download site, as mentioned by FJCC, is at http://www.openoffice.org/download
After selecting the version, and clicking the Download button, you will be automatically forwarded to the SourceForge servers, where the files are actually stored. Just wait a couple of minutes for the download to begin automatically,
Once the download is complete, you'll have to run the installer, but for most people going with the default settings works best.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.