[Solved] Printer Prints only blank pages in OpenOffice 4.1.4

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
MrBill123

Re: Printer Prints only blank pages in OpenOffice 4.1.4

Post by MrBill123 »

hello.... anyone out there... could I uninstall and reinstall the software and files...??
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Closed all. opened file exp. copied. clicked. entered. user came up. renamed. open OO. regi page popped up. entered info and OO opened. opened a file. printed and blank pages, not working...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

listened to unkldonald and no change... no answer on my suggestion to uninstall and reinstall... and users browsing says ... no one is here to help...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

amazing... this is not corrupted files and the computer is fine... amazing... I read a few other forums and lots of posts and... I HOPE SOMEONE WITH THE CORRECT KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE can help the next person... I do appreciate all the help but what I received most was time from others and I am grateful and I did; appreciate the help. what it came down to in answers and something that I STILL BELIEVE may just well have been a SIMPLE SETTING has led me (unfortunately) to MS Word and it saddens me, I can afford it. I only hung around long enough for others. Thanks to all for the effort and time but as far as a knowledge base, I only received educated guess(es)... the user profile reset is nuts, way too complicated and flat out, not worth it... if anyone (??) actually reads this ??? at least you only had to read it and not suffer through the ordeal... maybe I did wind up helping then?? May God Bless...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

briefly I saw two volunteers... and then they left me.. this is still a live post / forum...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

or so I thought...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

If resetting the User Profile didn't help then in addition to uninstall and install OpenOffice has a Repair option which I would try first. If you do uninstall then I would recommend that you delete your user profile because uninstall does not do that.

You asked how to upload an attachment
When you have the Reply dialog open
Look near the bottom of the screen and select Upload Attachment
Browse to select the file.
Select Add the file so that it becomes part of your message.

We are trying to help you but you must understand that your problem is unusual. We are all volunteers trying to provide guidance based on our experience. You need to have a little patience, it sometimes takes us some time to research and post a reply. Of course some of the volunteers that have posted here are in Europe where it is now quite late so they may have logged off for the night.
And occasionally we just don't have an answer.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

That was the best / most complete / "do-able" / answer yet.. okay, and apologes to the others who have helped who may not even see this typed.. i lost faith in all the "suggestions" / "volunteers"... this "MS" WOR(L)D sucks... and is upsetting sometimes... thanks unkl I'll try the repair and if I understand right and uninstall .. I will save all files....go to file exp.. right click and hit delete for "user and userold" now... and then uninstall and install again, correct??
OpenOffice 4.1.4
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Yes, that should work.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I'm hoping the Repair or Reinstall worked, but before I log off ...
I used OpenOffice 4.1.4 on a Windows 10 machine for several months without any printer issues ( HP 4520). I did recently update to 4.1.5 but still no problems so somehow it should work.

Just in case there is a settings issue
Select Tools>Options
Here are screen shots of the Print settings dialogs for OpenOffice and Writer, from my Windows 10 computer using OpenOffice 4.1.5
PrintSettings.png
Navigate to the Print settings dialogs using selections in the left area of the Options dialog.

My only other suggestion is for you to upload a sample file we could try.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

As RoryOF mentioned earlier, OpenOffice suddenly stopping printing is often a result of a Windows update messing with printer drivers. Others with this problem have resolved it by getting the latest printer driver from the printer manufacturer - not through the Windows printer driver update option - uninstalling the printer and reinstalling it using the new printer driver.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

deep breath. uninstalled open office including user info. installed open office. uninstalled printer and reinstalled using manufacturer (hp) software and drivers option and................ no change. blank pages still printing... help (again)...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

don't know how to upload a file here////
OpenOffice 4.1.4
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

this is the file upload requested....I have exhausted very other option...can some/any/one check the file...PLEASE>>>??
Attachments
File example.odt
(9.45 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I downloaded and printed the file you attached with no problems, using a HP Deskjet 2540 series printer attached to a computer running Windows 7 Professional
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

so based on all the lengths I've gone through.... does that tell you anything ??
OpenOffice 4.1.4
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The file prints for me - although I changed the paper size to A4 on the printer dialog, not in the document itself - so the issue is not apparently with the document.

Did you re-install your printer using the latest driver from HP ? Have you restarted Windows since the install?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

MrBill123 wrote:briefly I saw two volunteers... and then they left me.. this is still a live post / forum...
This is not a live post/forum. Members of this forum can (and a lot do) help when they can.
Just because you see a helper listed as being online, does not mean that they will stay online until your problem is solved.
The helpers live in different parts of the world, and, therefore, in different time zones.
We all need to eat and sleep... and some of us also need to go out to work.
We do our best to supply any and all possible options to resolve a problem, however we are not gods and there are many different options to resolving a problem.. just because a solution works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another.
The symptoms may be similar, or even the same, but the solution could be very different.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

more apologies... i restarted and even did a system restore... and after you mentioned , restarted again...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I suspect a system restore will have undone some or all of the changes you have made. Perhaps you might be better to take your machine to a local computer shop as they may have more success being hands on where we have to try and envisage what you have done, or undone, based only on what we see written here. Now you have done a system restore, we have no idea what the state of your computer is.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The system restore may have been counterproductive to resolving this problem, as your printer drivers would have been set back to the version that was installed when the restore point was created.
If you are still using the settings from the system restore, then I suggest going to the HP site and downloading the installation package for your printer.
Once downloaded, run the installation package and install the appropriate drivers.
After installation, give your system a reboot, then try your file again.

Quite frankly, if you have tried everything that we have suggested and your printer still won't print from OpenOffice, then I'm stumped (for now).
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

I had typed this is a live-post-forum only to find out if anyone was (or could) see it...?? i wasn't aware how this worked...and yes, I have to got ow work too...so, like I said, more apologies from me...and my ignorance .....I just continue to learn here though and....I've tried every suggestion and I'm 0-for-10 now??? is anyone able to give another possibility???
OpenOffice 4.1.4
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I found a Windows 10 driver for the HP Envy 4512
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... p-152056-2
Download EN4510_Full_WebPack_1122.exe
I recommend removing the current Printer from your system before reinstalling the driver software.
Making sure your printer is turned on and run EN4510_Full_WebPack_1122.exe to install the driver.
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

Removed the printer device, all aspects of the software and drivers. Printer was on and waited for the prompt to plus in the usb, (according to HP), reinstalled software and drivers....restarted comptuer and....unfortunately...............nothing has changed.... go to other programs and everything prints..... blank pages from OO,,,,preview shows the page to be printed as usual and printer makes noises, and get blank pages...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
merlijn

Post by merlijn »

Zizi suggested it earlier: try LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice

https://www.libreoffice.org/
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 x64
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Zizi suggested it earlier: try LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice
You can install it near the Apache OpenOffice, not needed uninstall the AOO. Or you can try one of the portable versions of the LibreOffice.

https://portableapps.com/apps/office/li ... able-still
http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1354
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

MrBill123 wrote:Printed from several other programs and printer works but still only blank pages from OpenOffice 4.1.4. Please help...
Follow the initial advice given and download the printer driver from the manufacturer's web site and install it.

1. Why do other programs print OK but AOO does not? Surely it is obvious that it must be AOO's fault so stop blaming the printer and fix AOO

That is not true.

AOO is a 32 bit program and all 32 bit programs running under a 64 bit Windows system use some Windows supplied software to communicate with the 64 bit printer drivers. The other programs which print OK are 64 bit programs which do not need this software. No 32 bit program will print.

2. Is this a Windows 10 problem?

Yes. It seems that Windows 10 updates install the wrong printer drivers which cause 32 bit programs like AOO not to print. It is the wrong printer driver which causes the problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Searching on the internet I found a number of solutions on YouTube for "printing blank pages on inkjet printers" but they all diagnosed the problem as clogged nozzles. If you can print with other applications then that can't be the problem.
Other searches found that apparently there is now a Windows 10S. What a concept, that version will only run applications purchased from the Microsoft Store.
But the only other diagnosis I found is printer driver issues.

When you print with Windows 10 your printer list should include Microsoft Print to PDF
Try that option. It will should save the output in a .pdf file.
Open the .pdf file and see if it contains your document. If so, will it print?

As recommended by Zizi64 LibreOffice is another option that would be worth a try. I have both AOO and LO on my Windows computer.
Click on the Windows icon at the bottom left of your screen and select Settings (the gear shaped icon)
In the Windows Setting dialog select System.
In the new dialog select About (usually the last item) from the list under System.
If your System type is "64-bit operating system, x64-based processor"
Try the 64 bit version of LibreOffice
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
Download version LibreOffice 5.4.7
If you don't have a 64bit computer then download the 32bit version recommended by Zizi64
MrBill123

Post by MrBill123 »

UNKLDonald, thank you. Thank you Rory, thank you zizi... John, you needed to read the whole tread ... but to all, thank you for patience I didn't deserve. ******10S***** I believe is the culprit/problem and? It's this MS WOR(L)D we live in with "critical updates" and it's a farce....windows 11 will be no different in the way MS works-to-make-it-hard-not-to-purchase-word and? I've tried to the best of my ability and to especially rory, zizi and :) unkl, I hope it helps the next person, I surrender, because with windows 10, MS is awful and they do it on purpose, I surrender, I did my best, I'm going to make the one time purchase of WORD but I tried, it's all I need...THANKS AGAIN for all the INCREDIBLE PATIENCE (I didn't deserve). May God Bless All...
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You will notice from our Forum signatures that many of us have moved to linux distributions. This is an option, but one might need local support for the transition.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS