[Solved] Run-on words occur after copy and paste to email

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
deucy14

[Solved] Run-on words occur after copy and paste to email

Post by deucy14 »

I learned thru hard knocks to draft my emails off line, copy, and paste on to my on- line email template and SEND.

For some time, I have had the frustration of experiencing that after the paste of my text to my email template that quite regularly throughout the text are run-on words, for example: myemail. Then I have to laboriously separate the run-on words which is a trial going thru a long text.

Please, what is causing this and what is the Rx to cure it. (I don't recall this happening in the last 18 months before this problem occurred which is the time roughly I have had OO).

I have been so busy since installing Apache OpenOffice I have not gone into the tutorials which I desperately need to do. I know it will make life easier as I do one heck of a lot of keyboarding.

Thank you so much in advance !
Last edited by deucy14 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office version 4.1.2 installed on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Run-on words occur after copy and paste to email

Post by Zizi64 »

Write your letter in AOO/LO,
Save it as .odf file,
ant finally Export it into PDF format then send it as attachment of the e-mail.

You can achieve the third step directly, when you are using a real e-mail client software, like the Thunderbird: just click on the "File - Send - E-mail as PDF" function in the menu.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
deucy14

Post by deucy14 »

Thank you ...

You stated:

Write your letter in AOO/LO,
Save it as .odf file,
ant finally Export it into PDF format then send it as attachment of the e-mail.

What is AOO/LO please ? (It does not serve as an election of one of the styles.)

I believe it was designed by default (because I never changed this), but when I draft and save as, the Save As Type window shows ODF Text Document (odt). Do I have an .odf file ? I do not see an election for .odf within parenthesis.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What is AOO/LO please ? (It does not serve as an election of one of the styles.)
AOO = Apache OpenOffice
LO = LibreOffice
LibreOffice is a fork of the OpenOffice. The LO has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats.

I believe it was designed by default (because I never changed this), but when I draft and save as, the Save As Type window shows ODF Text Document (odt). Do I have an .odf file ? I do not see an election for .odf within parenthesis.
Save it as .odf file,
Sorry I mispelled it.
It is "Save it as .odt file," really. The .odt is one of the ODF file types for textual documents.
ODF = Open Document Format. It is an International Standard: ISO/IEC 26300:2006, ISO/IEC 26300:2015
The .odf is an existing file type of the ODF standard: it is a file type for the mathematical formulas. .odf = open document formula

But I suggested you to use the PDF format for sending your documents.
PDF = Portable Document Format. It is a fileformat developed by the Adobe. It is an International Standard: ISO 32000-1:2008
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
deucy14

Post by deucy14 »

Thank you for your gracious patience in explaining these basics. I had promised early on to get into the tutorials...the cost (time) - benefit is so worth it. Just been set upon with disorder and displacement in these last 12 or so months, and looking to make progress on that front. The Libre you helped me lift the first small finger in understanding .....I would like to dive into the those pro's and con's that I suspect have been laid out by their respective users.

I see the icon for exporting to as a pdf. To have a broader latitude to do that, can you recommend an application ?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For most purposes, OpenOffice's or LibreOffice's /File /Export to PDF serve quite adequately; there are screens whereon you can set various options. I suggest you use that facility until you find it inadequate.
 Edit: See
Writer for students (several languages)
for an overview on using Writer. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

deucy14 wrote:... after the paste of my text to my email template that quite regularly throughout the text are run-on words, for example: myemail. Then I have to laboriously separate the run-on words which is a trial going thru a long text.
Do a check. Is this happening because "my" is the last word on a line and "email" is the first word on the next line? If so, you typed "m" "y" "Enter" "e" "m" "a" "i" "l" without a space. You should have typed "m" "y" "space" "e" "m" "a" "i" "l" and let the software look after spilling to create a new line. Stop pressing Enter after "my" so as to create the new line.
deucy14 wrote:I learned thru hard knocks to draft my emails off line, copy, and paste on to my on- line email template and SEND.
That should not be necessary. I assume you are using a web based email like gmail or yahoo which should automatically save anything you type even if you crash your session or log off without saving.

I have just done the following test:

1. logon to my gmail account
2. start writing an email - type a few sentences
3. close the browser so I lose my gmail session. Note I made no attempt to save what I had typed.
4. open the browser
5. login to gmail
6. go to the Drafts folder and select the first (top) draft email - it contains everything I had typed before closing the browser.
deucy14 wrote:I have been so busy since installing Apache OpenOffice I have not gone into the tutorials which I desperately need to do. I know it will make life easier as I do one heck of a lot of keyboarding.
You will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
deucy14

Post by deucy14 »

Wonderful contributions from everyone. THANK YOU ALL ! :D