[Solved] Spell Check Not Working

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
johncasey

[Solved] Spell Check Not Working

Post by johncasey »

[Solved] Thank you very much!
FYI, for future explanations to people that may not understand file paths and where to find certain files they may need to rename, please consider explaining that they can find the file path the way this snippet photograph demonstrates. As noted in my previous message I was about to give up because I could not figure out where the “user” file was that I needed to rename, so I just started going through all the breakdowns within OpenOffice and found paths to the files. Please see the attached snippet photograph.
Thanks again, you really made my day. John Casey

5-12-18 -- Spell Check Not Working.
Please assist by explaining how I can remedy the following problem.
I am using operating system Windows 10 Pro.

Question
Spell Check Not Working -- none of the words that are misspelled are underlined with red at all, therefore it is obvious spellchecker is not working.
In order to have proper spelling and grammar check, do I need to download dictionaries?

Ultimately, I never had these problems with my old version of OpenOffice Writer to version 4.1.3

Any assistance would be genuinely appreciated, even if I need to uninstall the program, and reinstall a different updated or older version... that has all the features working.

Thank you, JC
Attachments
Openoffice file paths.JPG
Last edited by johncasey on Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apache Openoffice version 4.1.5, and operating system Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Spell Check Not Working

Post by RusselB »

The most common cause for the Spell Checker to not work, and this also applies to your other query about the Synonyms, is that your OpenOffice user profile has become corrupted.
I suggest you start with resetting your OpenOffice user profile, as described in [Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Spell Check Not Working

Post by Bill »

If no misspelled words are underlined, then the language for the document text may be set to [None]. SpellCheck can't work if it doesn't know the language of the text. Resetting the user profile reinstalls the default SpellCheck dictionary and restores the default SpellCheck settings, but it won't fix the document language setting.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Spell Check Not Working

Post by John_Ha »

I don't think you searched the forum before posting, nor even glanced at it. Had you done so you should have found the first post in this forum - it is called [Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined). It gives step-by-step instructions for Windows, Mac and Linux.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

@John_Ha
The OP might not have realized that it's the same problem, as they stipulated that none of the words were underlined vs. all of them being underlined.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

True ...

... but if he had searched with his topic subject "Spell check not working" he would have found "Spell check not working (words red underlined)" which he would probably have looked at. And it is the first post in the forum so right above where people post. That being said, I was really picking up the point
As noted in my previous message I was about to give up because I could not figure out where the “user” file was that I needed to rename
as the sticky goes into considerable detail how to find it.

I guess I am old-school - if you want to post only do so after you have tried all the menu options, read the manual, looked at Help and searched/browsed the forum.

Still, I think the sticky is saving a lot of posts about spellchecking. hanya's macro in Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix for AOO has been downloaded 834 times so that is 834 people who have solved it themselves without having to be walked through the process.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.