Moving OO to a new computer

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Poker Clif

Moving OO to a new computer

Post by Poker Clif »

I am retiring a Windows 8 computer and I'm moving everything to a new Windows 10. I'm a full-time poker player and those are the main records that I'm concerned about. I have a 17-column spreadsheet for each online poker site on which I play.

I assume that I will have to download OO on the new computer, but then what?. I think that i have to open the program on my new computer, then put the calc information back on it, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Do I E-mail the information to myself? Can I somehow get the spreadsheets to the new machines with the information already filled in?
Open Office 2.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Moving OO to a new computer

Post by RoryOF »

Download and Install OO on the new computer. Simply move the .ods files to it by any method you wish (USB key may be easiest). If you had extensions installed on the old computer, you can move your OO User profile to the new computer and it will transfer the extensions.

User Profile information is in
[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Data files are separate from program files, so you would need to install AOO on the new computer and transfer your data files to the new computer. A Google search for "transfer files to a new computer" will find several different methods. Choose the one most appropriate for you. Personally, I'd use Windows Explorer to copy my data files to an external hard drive, then attach the external hard drive to the new computer and copy the files from the external hard drive to the new computer. Since I have thousands of data files, emailing them wouldn't be appropriate for me.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Copy all the data files (.odt. .ods etc) to the new machine.
2. Install AOO on the new machine.
3. Copy C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user from the old machine and paste it to the new machine so it replaces the one on the new machine. This copies all your settings, personalisation etc.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Don't forget to back-up that file in two or three places before doing the transfer. Paranoia is good.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04