[Solved] How to suppress dangerous keyboard shortcuts

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Oppofix

[Solved] How to suppress dangerous keyboard shortcuts

Post by Oppofix »

Hi friends,

when I am in a hurry and try to write with high velocity, it can be that I unhappily and against my will activate an (unknown) keyboard shortcut, that deletes the whole text. The work is then done for free.

Is there any experienced OO user, who could tell me which is this disastrous shortcut and how I could block it?

Thank you in advance
Oppofix
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Windows 8.1 / 64 bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: how to suppress dangerous keyboard shortcuts

Post by Villeroy »

Ctrl+A
see Tools>Customize... [Keyboard]
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Re: How to suppress dangerous keyboard shortcuts

Post by robleyd »

Some of these key combinations, especially the common Ctrl combinations, are defined at the operating system level, so apply to all applications.

You should select OpenOffice in the Customise dialog if you want the change to apply to all AOO applications. Note that this will not change the behaviour of Ctrl-A in other applications.

Don't forget that you can use Ctrl-Z to Undo any consequences of a wrong key combination.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Re: Text has vanished

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Oppofix

Post by Oppofix »

Hi friends,

I think the Answsers are all going in the right direction. I noted especially the tip of 'robleyd', that with Ctrl+Z a lost text can be regenerated.

What I could not find in the hundreds of existing keyboard combinations is the command for text deletion. I thought that If it would be possible to disable or block this command I with my problem as well as other OO users could feel more save.

But there comes 'John_Ha' and shows just how to solve this problem. He identifies "Ctrl+A" as the
culprit and points the way how to put him into chains. Of course I will now follow this path, and in good hope I present my question as solved.

Thanks to all
Oppofix
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Windows 8.1 / 64 bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Whenever you have some text selected and start typing, the selected text will be replaced with what you type, both deletion keys, Delete and Backspace, delete the selected text. When there is no text selected (vertical text cursor blinking), the Delete key deletes forwards and Backpace key deletes backwards. This has nothing to do with any particular application. This is how almost every end user application behaves. This is what you learn in the first or second hour of any computer course. The functionality of all the keys on your keyboard are not hard wired but there are common standards you can expect when you see a window with a box where you can type text into.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice