[Solved] Switching on automatic backups in Dutch

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
JacquesVonRhein

[Solved] Switching on automatic backups in Dutch

Post by JacquesVonRhein »

Dear OpenOffice Users,

A few days ago I lost about 90 pages of raw notes and ideas because of a sudden computer crash. I posted here on the forum and together with a few forum members we tried to recover the lost data. No luck. A painful experience. So from now on I'm creating weekly backups on a separate external hard disk. However, I also heard there was this option of automatically creating a backup of a .odt file. I checked this tutorial

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038

but I couldn't find the option of switching on this automatic backup making. I have installed the required office extension for it already. My OpenOffice is in Dutch and I couldn't navigate the menu's to find the option. Perhaps somebody could be so kind to make screenshots and then I can find the option via menu comparison. Or if there happens to be a Dutchy here that could help me along :knock: ....

Thanks !
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Windows 8, Openoffice 4.1.1.
RoryOF

Re: Switching on automatic backups in Dutch

Post by RoryOF »

There should be a new icon in the toolbar, beside the standard "Save" icon on my toolbar; pressing that new icon will Save the file (as the standard Save button does) and also make a timed dated save in the backup directory pointed to in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Paths /Backup. which the authors of the extension suggest should be pointed to another drive or location than the standard.

That extension only Saves the timed dated backup on command - it is not automatic, doing it every n minutes
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

I think you can find a Dutch explanation : [Tutorial]Gebruikersprofiel vernieuwen (Toon onderwerp) • OpenOffice.org.

There is not a picture but maybe the Dutch names do help you. I do not know the extension but I seems to me it works on the same way as OpenOffice works normal.

Maybe I have to add some lines about storing the the file's

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.

Use Google Translate to translate it into Dutch. This is your post ...
Beste OpenOffice-gebruikers,

Een paar dagen geleden raakte ik 90 pagina's ruwe notities en ideeën kwijt vanwege een plotselinge computercrash. Ik heb hier op het forum gepost en met een paar forumleden hebben we geprobeerd de verloren gegevens te herstellen. Geen geluk. Een pijnlijke ervaring. Dus vanaf nu maak ik een wekelijkse back-up op een aparte externe harde schijf. Er is echter deze optie om automatisch een back-up van een .odt-bestand te maken. Ik heb deze tutorial gecontroleerd

doel Ik kon de optie om deze automatische back-up te maken niet vinden. Ik heb de vereiste kantooruitbreiding hiervoor geïnstalleerd Mijn OpenOffice is in het Nederlands en ik kon niet door het menu navigeren om de optie te vinden. Misschien kan iemand zo vriendelijk zijn om screenshots te maken en dan kan ik via menuvergelijking de optie vinden. Goud als er hier een Dutchy komt die me kan helpen: klop: ....

Bedankt!
Switch on Backup copy.

Install Dropbox or Google Drive - any file located in either is automatically backed up on the web. Dropbox allows you to receiver previous versions. Take a daily backup of your important files to another disk or even to a USB stick.
JacquesVonRhein wrote: I also heard there was this option of automatically creating a backup of a .odt file.
Tools > Options > Load/Save > General ...
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JacquesVonRhein

RoryOF wrote:There should be a new icon in the toolbar, beside the standard "Save" icon on my toolbar; pressing that new icon will Save the file (as the standard Save button does) and also make a timed dated save in the backup directory pointed to in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Paths /Backup. which the authors of the extension suggest should be pointed to another drive or location than the standard.

That extension only Saves the timed dated backup on command - it is not automatic, doing it every n minutes
Thanks Rory, I found the option! Now I can at least make regular updates manually.

@RPG

Thanks for the link to the Dutch part of the site, didn't know it existed :knock:
JacquesVonRhein

John_Ha wrote:See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.

Use Google Translate to translate it into Dutch. This is your post ...
Beste OpenOffice-gebruikers,

Een paar dagen geleden raakte ik 90 pagina's ruwe notities en ideeën kwijt vanwege een plotselinge computercrash. Ik heb hier op het forum gepost en met een paar forumleden hebben we geprobeerd de verloren gegevens te herstellen. Geen geluk. Een pijnlijke ervaring. Dus vanaf nu maak ik een wekelijkse back-up op een aparte externe harde schijf. Er is echter deze optie om automatisch een back-up van een .odt-bestand te maken. Ik heb deze tutorial gecontroleerd

doel Ik kon de optie om deze automatische back-up te maken niet vinden. Ik heb de vereiste kantooruitbreiding hiervoor geïnstalleerd Mijn OpenOffice is in het Nederlands en ik kon niet door het menu navigeren om de optie te vinden. Misschien kan iemand zo vriendelijk zijn om screenshots te maken en dan kan ik via menuvergelijking de optie vinden. Goud als er hier een Dutchy komt die me kan helpen: klop: ....

Bedankt!
Switch on Backup copy.

Install Dropbox or Google Drive - any file located in either is automatically backed up on the web. Dropbox allows you to receiver previous versions. Take a daily backup of your important files to another disk or even to a USB stick.
JacquesVonRhein wrote: I also heard there was this option of automatically creating a backup of a .odt file.
Tools > Options > Load/Save > General ...
Hello John, thanks for your reply. I worked through the tutorial together with some other forum members, but we were not able to access my file unfortunately. It was too badly damaged and the .temp file seemed to be empty too. I still have both the .temp file and the original damaged file though.

The screenshot you link to switch on automatic back up making - it is this precisely I can't find. Where is this 'Tool' bit? And this menu?

Tools > Options > Load/Save > General ... ---> no idea where to find this.

EDIT: finally found the option. I know why I couldn't find it....because of a weird translation of 'Tools' in my language.....The Dutch word they use has nothing to do with the English word for 'Tools'......pesky language barriers!

Anyways thanks a lot! Now with all these precautions in place I will never ever lose so much work again.