Using public library computers to translate

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
jbe

Using public library computers to translate

Post by jbe »

I’m trying to figure out ways that I can avoid buying MS Office Home and Adobe Acrobat by doing the following. Maybe someone can help me by telling me if I am going to have problems, such as with formatting, doing any of the following.

First, going from a microsoft word document in the storage space of a library computer --> Google Doc on a library computer: can, can't, not sure

Second, going from a pdf document in the storage space of a library computer --> Google Doc on a library computer: can, can't, not sure

Third, going from a microsoft word document in the storage space of a library computer --> my USB flash drive --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Fourth, going from a pdf document in the storage space of a library computer --> my USB flash drive --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Fifth, going from a microsoft word document in the storage space of a library computer --> my USB flash drive --> the desktop on my laptop --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Sixth, going from a pdf document in the storage space of a library computer --> my USB flash drive --> the desktop on my laptop --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Seventh, going from a microsoft word document in the storage space of a library computer --> my email --> the desktop on my laptop --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Eighth, going from a pdf document in the storage space of a library computer --> my email --> the desktop on my laptop --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Ninth, going from Google Doc on my laptop --> Open Office on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Tenth, going from Google Doc on my laptop --> Acrobat reader on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Eleventh, going from Open Office on my laptop --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Twelfth, going from Acrobat reader on my laptop --> Google Doc on my laptop: can, can't, not sure

Thirteenth, going from Google Doc on a library computer --> a microsoft word document on a library computer (that has MS Office Home on it): can, can't, not sure

Fourteenth, going from Google Doc on a library computer --> a pdf document on a library computer (that has Adobe Acrobat on it): can, can't, not sure
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows Vista
RusselB

Re: Using public library computers to translate

Post by RusselB »

Doing almost anything with a library computer can be difficult, as they (usually) have very tight restrictions in regards to what information can be stored on their systems, rather than on an attached USB stick/flash drive.
These restrictions are set by the administrators of the library system, and do vary from one to another.
As you have a laptop, I would recommend that you avoid the usage of the library computers for anything that you can do on your laptop.
Open Office can be installed on your laptop, using the same method that you used to install it on your home PC. You might be able to use a portable version with the library computers, but I can't and won't guarantee it.
I'm not going to go through all 14 of your requests, as most (if not all) would fall under the response of "not sure", thus leaving you with no additional useful information.
As to purchasing Adobe Acrobat, if you are referring to the PDF reader, that is available as a free download/install.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.