File gone missing!

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Lehner11

File gone missing!

Post by Lehner11 »

I went to view a file that I use for my passwords and update frequently. I had several files open in AOO today. This afternoon I came to look up a password and found that that file was not only no longer open, but didn't exist on my passport where it's stored. All of the other files remained open. I did have several copies of that file on my passport, but all have been deleted with the exception of on that is over a year old. That is the only one found. How can I find those missing files. If I can't, then I don't have access to any of my new passwords for the last year. =( I did also try looking under recently opened programs and found the file icon there, right along with all my other folders. However, when I tried to open it from that location I got an error message that said "Does not exist". What?!
Open Office 4.0.1
Operating on windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: File gone missing!

Post by John_Ha »

Files saved to disk do not just disappear. Writer cannot delete a file saved to disk so as to make it disappear.

If a file disappears it is either because the user has mistakenly deleted it, or because the user cannot find it. It is nothing to do with Writer.

I do not understand what you are saying when you say "on my passport where it's stored".
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lehner11

Post by Lehner11 »

A passport is an external hard drive, where I store all my files. I don't save them on my computer for reasons such as this. I am not new to computers by any means, so I can assure you I have not deleted this file. I have also searched the trash just in case. There were several copies of this file on my hard drive, and all are gone with the exception of an old one.

Do you have suggestions on where else I can look for it? It is so puzzling.

Thanks!
Open Office 4.0.1
Operating on windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Download Recuva and examine the deleted files it finds; you may find a deleted temporary copy of the file you seek. It is possible that Win10 did some form of automatic update ; Win10 automatic updates are notorious for reckless disregard of files that are open.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Does your "passport" disk have recovery associated with it? If so, use its recovery method to find an earlier version.
Lehner11 wrote:I can assure you I have not deleted this file.
You may have done so accidentally, or disconnected the drive before the file was written. I can assure you that Writer cannot delete a file in the way you are saying your file has disappeared because there is no function in the software to do so. You need to find another explanation.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for
a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.
b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.