Attachment

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
tlynn1501

Attachment

Post by tlynn1501 »

I am new to open office 4.1.5 and to creating documents in general. I have my document ready to send but need to send it as an email attachment through an outside gmail or aol account. When I attach the document the attachment won't open. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I've tried to reformat it as a PDF and it still won't open, and I don't see the option to save it as a Microsoft word file even though I believe I'm working out of Microsoft. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you
openoffice4.1.5
RoryOF

Re: Attachment

Post by RoryOF »

The attachment should be saved to the local hard disk before an attempt is made to open it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tlynn1501

Post by tlynn1501 »

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand. Are you saying everyone I send this to will need to save it to their local hard disc or that I need to save it to the hard disc in gmail? I'm sending it out to around 300 people and they won't take that extra step if I can't just attach and send it.
openoffice4.1.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Use a real mail client software like the Thunderbird.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

What are the steps you are going through to get the file as an attachment, e.g.:

Open Writer; create document; save to hard drive in ??? format; open ??? mail program; add file as attachment
I don't see the option to save it as a Microsoft word file even though I believe I'm working out of Microsoft
When you choose File | Save as there is a drop down list of options named File Type from which you can choose; if using Writer and you want to save in MS Word format choose MS Word 97/2000/XP
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

IF ... you have an email with an attachment like a .odt file
THEN ... your email client will allow you to open the file for viewing
BUT ... most email clients will not allow you to edit the file. This is to protect you from losing your edits.

IF ... you want to edit an attachment still attached to an email
THEN ... save it to your disk first
OR ... if it is a .odt file, click the Edit File icon when AOO opens. AOO will then create an unnamed copy for you to edit.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.