Spell checker not working 4.1.5.

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
moonshadow999

Spell checker not working 4.1.5.

Post by moonshadow999 »

Windows 10 downloaded 2/9/2018 OpenOffice. Spell checker underlines all words in red. How do I fix this?
OpenOffice 4.1.5. on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Spell checker not working 4.1.5.

Post by FJCC »

Try resetting your user profile. Shutdown OpenOffice. Open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
into the address bar near the top. That will take you to a folder containing a folder called user. Rename that user_old and restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. Does the spell checker work now?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
PeterI

Post by PeterI »

I had exactly the same problem, and this fix seems to have solved it - thank you.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

FJCC wrote:Shutdown OpenOffice. Open any folder and enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4
into the address bar near the top. That will take you to a folder containing a folder called user. Rename that user_old and restart OpenOffice.
PeterI wrote:I had exactly the same problem, and this fix seems to have solved it - thank you.
Be aware that this "simple" fix deletes much of your customisation, deletes any added dictionaries, deletes all the added words in your user dictionary, deletes any installed add-ons and deletes all your user written macros etc. You need to copy them back as described in the first (sticky!!!) post in the forum, namely [Solved] Spell Check Not Working (words red underlined)

If you wish to keep all your customisation, either copy back everything; or follow the method given in the Tutorial, namely Spell checker "red wriggly lines" - beta test fix for AOO
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Tiger_words

Post by Tiger_words »

Unfortunately this good idea yielded no result.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Maybe you could describe your problem more precisely? Have you looked at [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Tiger_words

Post by Tiger_words »

If that's aimed at me, here's what I do:
I prepared a document, went to Tools -> Spelling and grammar and ran spell check. The program opened a dialog window and asked "Continue checking at beginning of document?" and I click "Yes". A split second later I get another dialog that says "Spell checking complete" yet it found none of the many typos. At this point the only option is the "Okay" button on the Spell checking complete box so I click it and the dialog goes away with no typos fixed. Nothing seems to fix it and I cannot access any of the menu items like Options... in the spell check dialog.
In short, it's worthless.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Then please see the topic I linked above
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Tiger_words

Post by Tiger_words »

Please post it again.
Thanks.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
hihorse

Post by hihorse »

The fix to reset the user name WORKS. Just go slow and hit each step. I had a bit of trouble finding the address bar to install %data%openoffice\4 but I succeeded. I did the recommended reboot after closing the window. I had to wait until several Windows updates went in, but upon commencing Open Office, NO MORE RED UNDERLINES on EVERY damned word as I typed test words--only red underlines on bad spelling, as it should be.

When spellcheck asked to recheck the whole document it caught only my typos. NO MORE blank box where spelling suggestions should be when it stopped on a word, which was usually correct anyway.

I had lost the functionality of my version 4.1.3 a year ago and finally decided today on an uninstall of the old and install of .6 would fix it. New version does not fix. You must reset at the user name line or fail. I have been fiddling with the new install for many hours, days of trying settings in Open Office and getting frustrated. What a relief it is!
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 8