[Solved] Check for Updates feature fails

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
rmesdjian

[Solved] Check for Updates feature fails

Post by rmesdjian »

I have noticed this with the past 3 versions of OpenOffice that the "Check for Updates" features does not work. When you select it the system returns the following:

Status field = Checking for an Update failed
Description field = "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: ."

I am currently running the latest version 4.1.5. It is running on Windows 10 with the latest updates/patches as of this post.

Thank you,

Raffi
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice = 4.1.5 / OS = Windows 10
fotovista2018

Re: Check for Updates feature fails

Post by fotovista2018 »

I have the same problem!
Had a perfectly well configured and operating PC (AOO 4.1.? & Win 10) until latest May 2018 Windows 10 update resulting in:
Plug & Play Keyboard producing wrong symbols, and AOO JRE & updates fail. I don't know if these issues are linked or not?

Fixed keyboard by selecting in Win 10 - Region & language > English US + Overrride for default input method - English US for BOTH . For British spell check had to choose in AOO Word -
LANGUAGE ENGLISH UK.

AOO possible JRE ISSUES: 32 or 64 bit operation issues? I Have both 32 & 64 bit JRE on my PC, also MS Visual C++ ? How to link required software to AOO 4.1.5 operation?
Despite all my efforts to find solutions - so far I have not been able to fix the JRE & UPDATE ISSUES!

We WOULD APPRECIATE any FURTHER HELP from OTHER USERS!
Thanks fotovista2018
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You need to select (one time only) the 32 bit Java in OO's /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Java
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
fotovista2018

Post by fotovista2018 »

I have two entries in java - oracle corporation 1.8.0_172 and oracle corporation 1.8.0_171. Which is the 32 bit version that I should keep? Delete the other one? Keep only ONE in the java option list?
Thanks fotovista2018
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Below the list you see the path of the currently highlighted one. If it starts with C:\Program Files (x86)\ then it is a 32-bit Java on a 64-bit Windows. C:\Program Files\ indicates a 64-bit Java on a 64-bit Windows. On a 32-bit Windows system you can not install any 64-bit software and the path is always C:\Program Files\
By the way: https://libreoffice.org/ is availlable as a 64-bit application for MS Windows.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
fotovista2018

Post by fotovista2018 »

Villeroy Thank you for your help !

I uninstalled the 64 bit javas, confirmed only c:\ProgramFiles(x86)java\jre1.8.0_172 exists, the latest 32 bit java available, enabled it in IE11, tested by javatester.org OK. Then I restarted the PC OK.

AOO UPDATES still FAIL! Status :Checking for an update failed. Description:Error reading data from the Internet.Server error message.

The "UPDATE FAIL" PROBLEM is still existing SINCE the 4.1.5 update version of AOO.

DO YOU NEED JRE FOR PROGRAM UPDATES? or is it an issue within AOO latest version software? ANY IDEAS HOW TO PROCEED?

Thanks fotovista2018
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Right-clicking on the error message posted and selecting "Search Google..." finds several posts in the forum which have been marked solved. Have you read those posts?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
fotovista2018

Post by fotovista2018 »

Hi all helpers!
I have looked at other forum solutions? Difficult for me to understand some such complex program and ping troubleshooting.

For Extension manager, I Downloaded from the Web, the latest English version of dictionaries & Thesaurus 1-5-2018 - an individual extension that includes English_Au, _Ca, _GB, _US, _Za,
PC Still shows: error reading from the internet when trying to update, or when enabled "Show All Updates" in extensions. Server error message, UNKNOWN ERROR!

I have no extensions showing in the extension manager large box, only one single listing on top by Marco.A.G.Pinto. that includes all British versions, I need _GB for my spell check!

I wonder if the English US _ GB fiasco of the Plug and play keyboard typing wrong symbols under English UK, and my only possible solution of setting English US for BOTH AOO language settings, and English UK in AOO Writer is causing some conflict? Do I need to ADD English US extensions? Then how to associate the correct extension with this AOO 4.1.5 to get updates OK?

No such problems ever existed before recent updates in MS Win 10 & AOO. 4.1.5, as originally I used under language English UK, & override language English US, both spell check and keyboard and updates functioned correctly with no problems whatsoever!

fotovista2018
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In OO /Tools/Options/Language Settings /Languages I have Locale selected as "English (UK)" and "Default languages for Documents :Western" as "English (UK)".

In /Tools /Options /Languge settings : Writing Aids" I have "Hunspell Spellchecker", Libhyphen Hyphenator" and "OpenOffice.org New Thesaurus" all checked. I have selected some "User defined dictionaries" (you may or may not have these), and under "Options" on that same window I have "check spellings as you type" and "check grammar as you type" selected.
fotovista2018

Post by fotovista2018 »

I tried to check for updates now, STATUS: CHECK FOR UPDATES FAILED - after a long search! DESCRIPTION: The HOST NAME ooo-updates.apache.org COULD NOT BE RESOLVED!

WHY IS IT ooo-updates ??? CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK and VERIFY WHAT SHOULD BE A CORRECT ADDRESS ???

SECOND ATTEMPT RESULT: Checking for an update failed. Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message.

Thanks fotovista2018
fotovista2018

AOO 4.1.5 - UPDATES FAIL

Post by fotovista2018 »

THIS IS A FOLLOW-UP Re: Check for Updates feature fails - Postby fotovista2018 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I tried to check for updates, STATUS: CHECK FOR UPDATES FAILED after a long search! DESCRIPTION: The HOST NAME ooo-updates.apache.org COULD NOT BE RESOLVED! WHY ?????
SECOND ATTEMPT RESULT: Checking for an update failed. Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message

This link ooo-updates.apache.org yields TEXT ON WEB PAGE ONLY = Apache OpenOffice Product Update Service for installed AOO (4.0 and later) instances Folder containing update service feeds for users performing the update check and getting the message about an available new version.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CHECK and VERIFY WHAT SHOULD BE A "CORRECT ADDRESS" TO ACTUALLY PROVIDE THE ONLINE UPDATES ??? WHY THIS CURRENT UPDATE PROCESS FAILS WITH AN ERROR MESSAGE?

Thanks fotovista2018 OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10 in use.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please don't multipost. I've merged your post in your previous discussion.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
fotovista2018

Post by fotovista2018 »

This is not just and open ended ERROR MESSAGE ISSUE. Surely providing more precise information to possible cause gives the issue a different angle? Therefore a different discussion?
It might be a programming issue where not users, but program writers would have to be involved to verify a simple question. Does this link facilitate online updates or not? and why not? and How can it be fixed?

Thank you all for your help! fotovista2018
sibermike7

Post by sibermike7 »

I have the EXACT same issue as fotovista2018.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Honestly, the AOO updates are rather rare. You don't really need this feature.
If you really want to ask the devs: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problem is being investigated on the OO development list.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

For information, this issue has been reported as a bug
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
DOBRESCUMihai19
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Re: [Issue] Check for Updates feature fails

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 »

robleyd wrote:For information, this issue has been reported as a bug
Dear Members of the "OpenOffice" Community Forum,

Dear Members of the Team of Moderators of the "OpenOffice" Community Forum,

On the Fated Date of Friday, April 06, 2018, at precisely 10:14 P.M., I have started Another Thread about This Issue.

Now I am discovering in Utter Amazement that This Issue had already been proudly reported on Another Fated Date of Thursday, March 08, 2018, at precisely 12:37 A.M., on This Thread. It is difficult to be original these days, while living among Seven Billion Brains who are currently roaming around our Planet.

This Forum has surely not been designed in order to be intended to be used as an Issue Tracking Tool and yet I am sure that there can be found a way to mark my Thread as a Duplicate of This Thread. Although not everybody is interested in Software Development Field, this action might prove useful to those who are concerned by this Field.

Generally, I have found a Simple Solution for solving These Kinds of Problems: simply disable the Updating Systems. For most of the Software Applications, it is quite easy to perform such an action, while for Operating Systems it can be a little bit trickier. Recently, I have managed to disable the Updating System of the "Microsoft" "Windows" 10 Operating System, only to discover after a while that they have managed to re-enable it back somehow. The "Microsoft" Corporation is moving in mysterious ways these days.

Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,
"United_D.M.! - Software for the Future"
"Microsoft" "Windows" "10" "April Update" 1803 Operating System Build 17134.472 (x64).

"LibreOffice" 6.1.3.2 (x64).

"Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" Monthly Channel (x64).
1madmouse

Post by 1madmouse »

My thinking would be fix it or cut it. No need to have any more to stress about than is already present. This software is supposed to make our work a bit easier, so unless there was some huge update, I will not worry about it.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 Ultimate
r l

Post by r l »

I am getting the same thing. Didn't want to report it at first as it might be a temporary glitch but has been happening for a few weeks now.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There is one bugfix release every 1 or 2 years. 5 years after version 4.0 we may observe the release of 4.2, may be next year. Simply have a look at https://openoffice.org/ every now and then.
Apache OpenOffice is a very huge chunk of code, but almost dead. A group of 10 or 20 active coders can hardly keep pace with changing software environments on different operating systems. They do even struggle with changes in their own infrastructure.
The legitimate successor https://libreoffice.org/ is under active development and has a working release notification. It was forked from OpenOffice 3.6 and reached version 6.1 by now.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
DOBRESCUMihai19

Villeroy wrote:The legitimate successor https://libreoffice.org/ is under active development and has a working release notification. It was forked from OpenOffice 3.6 and reached version 6.1 by now.
Great Post, Villeroy. Thanks for the tips.

I might even try the "LibreOffice" Desktop Suite. I think I might have even seen it once under the "K.D.E." X-Server Environment.

I would simply recommend to newcomers the "Microsoft" "Word" "Online" Web Software Application and its similar Software Applications that are present in the "Microsoft" "Office" "Online" Online Suite.

The silence did feel dead around here.

Anyway, just keep away from the "Microsoft" "Windows" 10 Operating System. Nothing is really working. A Complete Nightmare.
"Microsoft" "Windows" "10" "April Update" 1803 Operating System Build 17134.472 (x64).

Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If you are running any of the popular desktop distributions, then you already some version of LO installed which is well integrated into your desktop environment and updates together with all the other software.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

P.S.: Most Linux distros do not upgrade software across versions. If you have LO 5.3 installed, you will get bugfix releases 5.3.1, 5.3.2, 5.3.3 but not 5.4 nor 6.0. One exception to this rule is the Firefox browser. You always get the lates version of your browser.
rmesdjian

Post by rmesdjian »

Wow, didn't realize this was going to open a hornets nest. As far as I am concerned, either fix the feature or remove it. Any way, it sounds like this product isn't getting much support going forward and LibreOffice is the way to go. I already use LibreOffice on my smartphone so I will switch to it as well on my Windows and Linux environments.
OpenOffice = 4.1.5 / OS = Windows 10
Wayne_R_Miller

Post by Wayne_R_Miller »

Have been an Open Office user since the beginning of 'time' - Before Apache involved, when it was a modest endeavor - now successful.
Never saw an issue last for this long with out being resolved - six or more months - looks like no one is paying attention out there!!!
Will regretfully switch to Libre, as I cannot forego accepting updates. Life is too short (84 now) to worry about my ability to accomplish what I need to do when communicating on the 'net.
Ciao - Enjoy Life and Remember, This is Not Practice!
ProfCurmudgeon
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

For what it is worth, the "updates" for AOO are full new versions and there will be notifications here, in the Announcements section of each sub-forum, whenever a new version of AOO is released. The last notification was October 2017, so new versions are not frequent.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
DOBRESCUMihai19

|
+___Great Posts, Everyone.
|
+___I do not think that this Issue is trivial. Most of the Proud Users are nowadays using the Personal Computer mostly as a more sophisticated Automated Typing Machine. They are not interested in the Binary Code and in the Assembly Language.
|
+___I have started using a Word Processor on a tiny clone of the British Sinclair "ZX-80" "Spectrum". I do not remember its name right now. I was saving the Texts on Audio Cassette Tapes and on 5¼ Floppy Disks. I had no Local Printer at that time. That was back in the Proud Year of 1,992 - that is, Twenty-Six Years ago.
|
+___I have started using the "Microsoft" "Windows" "Office" Desktop Suite back in the year of 1,993. After Twenty-Five Years, it still looks like the Best Option Around. They are attempting to provide Office-as-a-Service. The only problem is that most of us do not feel like being subscribed to them. Software should really be free.
|
+___The "Apache" "OpenOffice" Desktop Suite is quite a solid replacement. I thank the System Administrators of this Forum for informing us that it is still alive and kicking.
|
+___I am soon about to start the usage of the "Libre" "Office" Desktop Suite Replacement. I have no feedback to output right now out of it.
|
+___Again, the Idea is that Writing is basically the First Thing that one does on a Personal Computer. Turning the Personal Computer into a sophisticated Tablet or SmartPhone or Internet Protocol TeleVision Receiver is still quite a Complicated Endeavor that still sounds like being revolved around the moon at a very good price. And - to be honest - most of these Monkey Tricks are not working well yet.
|
+___I shall continue watching this Thread. Updating is very necessary these days. Maybe something good will come out of this.
|
+___Best Regards,
+___DOBRESCU_Mihai.
+___Bucharest, România,
+___South-Eastern Europe,
+___Northern Hemisphere.
|
+___EDIT: I see that the desires of the Moderating Teams and of the System Administrative Teams are not to Multi-Post. I shall attempt to respect their desires.
|
+___I have successfully started using the "Libre" "Office" Desktop Software Suite. I can confirm again that the most used Automated Operation that is currently used by the Simple Users is to write Documents and to send them as Electronic Mail Messages. The rest is for Software Professionals. This is why such a piece of Software Application is quite important.
|
+___The "Libre" "Office" Desktop Software Suite has behaved quite normal so far. I have not encountered any crashes, at all. It has even the option to open "Microsoft" "Word" Documents. I still wonder if there is any reason to come back to the Paid Subscription of the "Microsoft" "Windows" "Office" Desktop Software Suite.
|
+___Any other comments and opinions are welcome, mostly for the newcomers in this area.
|
+___Version: 6.1.1.2 (x64)
+___Build ID: 5d19a1bfa650b796764388cd8b33a5af1f5baa1b
+___CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: default;
+___Locale: en-US (en_US); Calc: group threaded
|
+___EDIT: I can also confirm that the Updating Process is somewhat working for the "Libre" "Office" Desktop Software Suite.
|
+___The "Check for Updates" Action is revealing the following Pieces of Information:
|
+___[ Check for Updates ]
|
+_______[ Status ]
|
+____________LibreOffice 6.1.3 is available.
|
+____________The installed version is LibreOffice 6.1.1.2.
|
+____________Note: Before downloading an update, please ensure that you have sufficient access rights to install it.
|
+____________A password, usually the administrator's or root password, may be required.
|
+_______[ Description ]
|
+____________The automatic download of the update is currently not available.
|
+____________Click 'Download...' to download LibreOffice 6.1.3 manually from the website.
|
+___Actually, running the Software Installer that is present at the https://www.libreoffice.org/donate/dl/w ... in_x64.msi Uniform Resource Locator does not automatically update the Desktop Software Suite, but it actually starts a Brand New Software Reinstallation Process. Maybe this is how it is supposed to be working. This might be the Lengthy Explanations of "robleyd"'s Note: "the <<Updates>> for <<Apache>> <<OpenOffice>> are Full New Versions".
|
+___The current World-Wide Software World is extremely confusing. The "Microsoft" Corporation has gone insane, as someone was rightly stating on a "Medium" Thread, arguing that hitting the "F1" Key inside the "Notepad" Software Application was leading at the time of his writing to a Web-Site that did not contain the "notepad" Character String at all. I myself want to remove a Physical Address from a "Microsoft" Account and I am surprisingly invited toward the closure of my "Microsoft" Account, for no Logical Reason at All.
|
+___Both the "Apache" "OpenOffice" Desktop Software Suite and its Fork, the "Libre" Office" Desktop Software Suite seem to copy older Versions of the "Microsoft" "Windows" "Office" Desktop Software Suite, with a Look-and-Feel as old as even Twenty Years ago. But let us see if they are doing their job.
|
+___Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
+___Build ID: 86daf60bf00efa86ad547e59e09d6bb77c699acb
+___CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: default;
+___Locale: en-US (en_US); Calc: group threaded
|
+___https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/plugins/ ... b77c699acb
|
+___"LibreOffice 6.1 is up to date."
|
+___UPDATE: We have also purchased a Nice Subscription to the "Microsoft" "Office" "365" Desktop Software Suite.
|
+___The Reason? - one might ask.
|
+___Beside the usual "Why not?" Modern Question, both the "Apache" "OpenOffice" and the "Apache" "LibreOffice" Desktop Software Suites do not currently have Mobile Versions. Or maybe they have, but we are currently not aware of it. Feel free to correct us.
|
+___The "Microsoft" Corporation - as Insane as it is presenting itself nowadays - is Currently Struggling to maintain Mobile Versions of their Software Applications. We have been able - with Great Effort - to configure the "Microsoft" "Launcher" Software Application both on a Tablet Personal Computer and on a SmartPhone, both running Quite Recent Versions of the "Google" "Android" Operating System. After this Great Success, we have been somewhat running also the Mobile Versions of the "Microsoft" Software Applications.
|
+___In our view, the Greatest Global Mess is currently produced by the TeleCybernetic Accounts. There is still no way to have one Personal TeleCybernetic Account for the Whole TeleCybernetic Mess. There is still a Struggle going on between the "Microsoft" Corporation, the "Google" Corporation and their "FaceBook" Corporation for the Supremacy over the Overall User Account, as the "Yahoo!" Corporation seems to be almost extinct these days.
|
+___The Internet Protocol TeleVision Clients are still in their Childhood Era. It is still safer to turn on a Classical-Basic TeleVision Set using the main "Power On" Button. The Current State of the Internet is so Messed-Up, so full of Software Defects, that sometimes is simply easier just to give up and to further refrain from using any kind of Software Instrument at all.
|
+___One Good Example in this direction would be the "TapaTalk" Software Application. It should be working. It has already gone beyond its 8.0.1 Version. Still, it is giving Weird Software Errors that a Normal Human Being cannot comprehend. It should be used for Easier Browsing of Forum Threads. In Reality, it is just producing a bunch of "Personal Home Page" / "P.H.P.: the Hypertext Preprocessor" Software Errors.
|
+___Also, the Current Layout of More Recent Versions of the Software Applications - especially the Mobile ones - is looking Thoroughly Schizophrenic. There is no Intuitive versus Counter-Intuitive Battle anymore. God Knows how they are designing them and how they are implementing them. Everything seems to be a Bunch of Pieces of Information that are just Flooding the Puzzled User.
|
+___Of course, Wise and Olden Software Applications like this "phpBB" Forum are still maintaining their Sanity.

kbellis

Post by kbellis »

oo update check fails.PNG
oo update check fails.PNG (10.32 KiB) Viewed 60425 times
Windows 10 64-bit
c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_191

Not that I'm overly bugged by it, but have there been any updates on this updates bug? I noticed it still present in oo v4.1.6.

Kind regards,

Kelly
LO6222(x64) • AOO416 • Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Tools>Options>Online Updatre> "Check for updates automatically" = OFF

Apache OpenOffice is a dead project. There is no need to get notified for nothing.