Mail merge won't e-mail

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Stripey

Mail merge won't e-mail

Post by Stripey »

Good morning,
I have been trawling posts about this for three days and even though a number of these threads/ posts have been written, back in 2016, with the 'Solved' message, they do not appear to tell how the situation was solved. I am running OO 4.1.5 on a Windows 7 OS. I have installed, and correctly set up Thunderbird , being able to send and receive e-mails. I have set my default settings to Thunderbird. In the past I was able to complete my report data in a spreadsheet, one column of which was headed 'e-mail' where I would put my clients' e-mail addresses, then I would create in writer a merged document using the data from the spreadsheet, then I would print the merged document for my files and also send as an e-mail the individual report to the individual client at the push of a button, using the e-mail addresses written in the column of the spreadsheet... This is no longer the case. Other threads say 'Tools > Options > Internet > E-mail', when I go there, there is no 'E-mail option', it says 'Proxy' or 'Search'. I have uninstalled and re-installed both OO and Thunderbird, checked and re-checked default settings. Is it that this is no longer a supported service with OO? I am not going to send individual e-mails and attach each report manually... Would love a solution if you can think of one... Many thanks, Stripey
OpenOffice 4.5.1 on windows 7
Stripey

Re: Mail merge won't e-mail

Post by Stripey »

As an addendum, I found this link on a library site that explains how it is done in MS Excel/ Word, and it is more or less what i use to be able to do in OO... But now I can't [http://www.statelibraryofiowa.org/ld/q- ... mail-merge], Thanks
Stripey

Post by Stripey »

And if you look on the Wiki how (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... orm_letter) it goes all the way through and stops at E-mail...
Stripey

Post by Stripey »

This is my error message: <class 'smtplib.SMTPSenderRefused'>: (530, '5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 184sm6101465pfd.156 - gsmtp', u'mark@rainbowridge.nsw,edu.au'), traceback follows
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\python-core-2.7.6\lib\smtplib.py:724 in function sendmail() [raise SMTPSenderRefused(code, resp, from_addr)]
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If your email is not set up properly see Chapter 5 - E-mailing Writer documents in the manual.

That being said, are you sure you used AOO mail-merge to send emails? I don't think that is possible as mail merge creates printed documents. The AOO manual says in Chapter 11 - Using Mail Merge

What is mail merge?
OpenOffice.org (OOo) [AOO] Writer provides very useful features to create and print:
• Multiple copies of a document to send to a list of different recipients (form letters)
• Mailing labels
• Envelopes

Or are you using LO? or another fork of OpenOffice?
As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.