Automatic Backup not working anymore

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
krilledrille

Automatic Backup not working anymore

Post by krilledrille »

Hello
since some weeks (?), my Openoffice installation has stopped backing up the Base files. Settings are set properly in "options" to backup every 15 minutes (all is ticked). This works for Writer and Calculator, but NOT for Base. Any clues what this may be?
I am running Openoffice 4.1.5 on a Windows 10 machine.
Help is appreciated!
krilledrille
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Automatic Backup not working anymore

Post by Villeroy »

Once you finished the development process of your database, you do not edit and save the database document anymore.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
krilledrille

Post by krilledrille »

Hello,
I am not sure your answer is directed to my question, but thanks anyway.

I am looking for the ".odb" files that are put into the "User/xy/AppData/Roaming/OpenOffice/4/user/backup" folder when the respective settings are selected. This has quit to work for odb-files (but not for ".ods" or ".odt" files)

Anybody familiar with this?

Many thanks,
krilledrille
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice has no backup facility. What is stored in the backup folder is for recovery in case of disaster. This is not a backup because files that are opened and closed without crash won't be kept in that directory. A backup on the same file system C: as the original files is useless anyway. When the hard disk or SSD reached its end of life time both versions might be lost.
Running backups to save all of your files (not just office documents) is your task. A backup application should copy all files under "My Files" and %APPDATA% to another storage medium on a daily basis.
 Edit: P.S. I confirm that Base documents are not backed up. Not in OpenOffice and not in LibreOffice. In the backup folder I only see several old copies of Base documents that used to crash some time ago. 
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice