Dictionary update failed

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Johnb3

Dictionary update failed

Post by Johnb3 »

I just totally scrubbed OOo v4.1.4 from my machine, including every Registry entry, and successfully installed OOo 4.1.5.
Then I download and installed "Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Win_x86_langpack_en-US.exe". The installer reported a successful installation, yet every word in my native tongue remains flagged as misspelled.

I see no way to discover or set a Path to the alleged dictionary files. The program, however, does allow right-clicking to Add each flagged word to the Standard Dic. While that works for the few words I tried, it is not a viable option of course.

Apparently this issues goes back years on this forum in English and Swedish! I have not discovered any help here yet, but thought I would add my plea --and my chagrin at not having learned to be a programmer!
 Edit: Split from Dictionary update failed, Hagar, moderator. 
John
AOO419m1(Build:9805) - Rev. 561082130a
2021-01-08 16:08
Windows 10/Home on an AMD 64-bit quad-core CPU, Radeon R9 GPU --all updated
RoryOF

Re: Dictionary update failed

Post by RoryOF »

For which language did you download OO 4.1.5? When you have a red-lined document, what language is it written in? Does that language show in the middle of the Status bar (bottom bar of OO window)?

My OO will spellcheck in English (UK) and in French (France)

Just to prove a point, the attached shows the commencement of Pride and Prejudice in both French and English; Words such as Netherfield etc are entered into my standard English dictionary so do not show as misspellings. The French translation is not my favourite, but it is the first that came to hand.
P&P_Fr_Eng.png
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Then I download and installed "Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Win_x86_langpack_en-US.exe".
This is not a dictionary but a language pack - see https://www.openoffice.org/download/full_vs_lp.html for an explanation.

You might also find more information in the following topics:
[Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.
[Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Johnb3 wrote:...every word in my native tongue remains flagged as misspelled.
See the topic pinned to the top of the Install, Setup and Troubleshooting forum. This is a SpellCheck failure caused by corruption of the user profile. It is usually solved by resetting the user profile.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04