Windows 10 crash recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Tiletec

Windows 10 crash recovery

Post by Tiletec »

After HP update crash of my windows 10, I did an auto backup to a flash drive, and after recovery I couldn't locate my original AOO Docs, only the PDF's.
Can the originals be recovered, for template reasons more than anything? :(

Thanks
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Windows 10 crash recovery

Post by RoryOF »

The Open?Office files should still be in the directory(s) in which they were originally saved. They may not show in OO's Recent Documents list until you reopen each. If the Windows recovery has restored your computer to factory condition, then I fear the files may be lost.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

We have no way of knowing how you set up "autobackup" or what options you chose for "recovery". If your autobackup wasn't configured to backup all documents then you can't recover the files from the backup. If you recovered Windows 10, you should have had an option to keep your existing files. If you didn't select that option, then your files were deleted and can't be recovered from the hard drive. In that case, you could only recover files from a manual backup if you have one. If you did choose to keep your files, then they should still be in the same folder(s) where they were saved.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Tiletec

Post by Tiletec »

I assumed the auto backup saved every thing, but TV and movies that I unchecked.
I'm so not computer savvy, but can manage an invoice, and quotes from the template I had put together with AOO.
I hope I can get the template back.

Thanks for the help.
Tiletec

Post by Tiletec »

The result of the restore/recovery was all my docs ,including PDF's, of my AOO docs, and pics where recovered. So what happened to the originals if everything else was restored?

Could you please, explain how to convert my PDF's back to AOO format without appearance changes to documents.

Thanks again
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Converting PDF to ODF isn't a function of AOO, so I've never done such a conversion. Someone else may be able to suggest a suitable converter. I can only suggest a Google search to find a converter.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You could try your luck with Zamzar which claims to perform some PDF conversions. Of course, if the PDF files are from a scanner, they will be essentially an image, with no content capable of converting to a text or spreadsheet type document.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers