[Solved] Update Not Used

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Fao

[Solved] Update Not Used

Post by Fao »

I am a very occasional user of OO but I'm not sure that this isn't related to an issue related to it getting along with my operating system (Win 7 Ultimate). Every document created with OO on this machine was created with v 4.1.2 or older, today I created a db using that version then proceeded to update to the latest version, 4.1.5. Every message I got at every step of the download and installation process indicated that everything was going along as it should (no red x's or inverted yellow triangles or anything that indicates there is a problem - only messages like, "you have successfully installed..."). The problem is, however I open OO programs from the start menu (can't open programs from going to the folder I saved it to on my hard drive when I was preparing to download the update), it opens the old version. The specific files I open were all created with 4.1.2 or older, but I don't understand why it is not using the updated version to open them. From the start menu, I could select either "Open Office "Base" or "Open Office Writer" (the two I have used recently), then proceed to use existing docs or create a new one (but I would be using the older version of those programs), or from the start menu I could click on "all programs" and find the entry for OO, but it is called "OpenOffice 4.1.2" - how do I remove that and put the updated version in my start menu, or otherwise use the updated version, which the installer confirms is installed on my system?
Last edited by Fao on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Update Not Used

Post by Bill »

It's possible that the shortcuts on the Start Menu weren't updated with the new version number but the shortcuts are starting the new version because the file names and locations of both versions is identical. After you start OpenOffice by clicking one of the shortcuts on the Start Menu, select Help > About OpenOffice on the Menu Bar in OpenOffice to find the version that is running. If the new version is running, then restart the computer. If the version number on the Start Menu shortcuts is still wrong, then run the installation again and select "Repair".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Fao

Post by Fao »

Thanks for that reply but that is how I am determining that I am running the older version, from the help menu once I have an OO program running. If I try to start a program from the folder on my hard drive that was created when I downloaded the update (it is called OpenOffice 4.1.5), I get the message that i have to go through the start menu in order to run OO.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It sounds like AOO 4.1.5 hasn't actually been installed. You can't run OpenOffice from anything in the folder on the Desktop. That folder should contain the files that install OpenOffice. Try running the setup.exe file in that folder.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04