[Solved] Latest version slow to "save" crashes often

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
GeoffreyLevens

[Solved] Latest version slow to "save" crashes often

Post by GeoffreyLevens »

Open Office ver 4.1.5 on Mac OS El Capitan ver 10.11.6

Recently downloaded updated/most recent OO. Now it takes MUCH longer to save anything in .odt, feels like it is hanging for a long time, 10-15 seconds even for a small change in a document. Also crashes often. And, every time I open an older document in .odt that I have not opened in this version, it goes through crash recovery... Anything to fix this stuff???

Thank you
Last edited by GeoffreyLevens on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Latest version very slow to "save" and crashes often

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

What you are experiencing is not normal so it is a problem with your PC.

If resetting the profile does not fix it, start the PC in Safe Mode and try again. Does that fix it? If so, it is because of other software, which is started when the PC starts, interfering. See Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Try this file - it has 99 pages of text and is 197 kB. It opens in a second or two, and saves in a second or two (although I do have a SSD).
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
GeoffreyLevens

Post by GeoffreyLevens »

I have flash drive (MacBook Air). Can't find "user profile". I assume it is somewhere in Library-->Application Support. I that correct. Though even if I found it I would not know how to reset profile.

John_Ha, not sure what to do with the file you linked. Did you mean to save it to my computer and then see how fast/slow it opens and closes?

I really don't know much about computers. I do email, some word processing, and internet searching for general info, and that's about it. No real knowledge of software or hardware
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Mac OS 10.11.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Can't find "user profile"
See Hagar's post. In Windows it is C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\ and all folders and files contained within it. What does Tools (Preferences on Mac??) > Options > Open Office > Paths ... say?

See Question 02 in [Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Clipboard01.gif
GeoffreyLevens wrote:John_Ha, not sure what to do with the file you linked. Did you mean to save it to my computer and then see how fast/slow it opens and closes?
Correct - I want to check if it is a problem with your files.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
GeoffreyLevens

Post by GeoffreyLevens »

John, file downloaded. Opens and closes fine including altering it a bit and SAVE and close OPEN. But some of the times OPEN after closing, it goes through CRASH RETRIEVAL steps to reopen.

There is no MAC Pref->Tools>Options that I can find, only TOOLS within specific apps. Open Office TOOLS drop down contains MACROS, EXTENSION MANAGER, and CUSTOMIZE

Will check through that tutorial on finding
GeoffreyLevens

Post by GeoffreyLevens »

Tutorial says as first step:

For OpenOffice version 4.x.x: In Finder use Go → Go to Folder → ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4

But OpenOffice does not show up in Library/Application Support
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Check where your profile is installed by the Mac equivalent of Tools (Preferences????) > Options > OpenOffice > Paths as in my image above. Search the MacOS forum here with profile for more help.

1. Close AOO.
2. Find the User Profile and delete it (or rename it if you want to keep it).
3. Start AOO. You should be asked to enter your name.

You have now created a new User Profile. If not fixed, then

1. Close AOO.
2. Find the User Profile and delete it (or rename it if you want to keep it). The new install must NOT see it.
3. Uninstall AOO. If you are asked "Delete completely? Or keep your settings?" reply Delete completely.
4. Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html and download AOO.
5. Install AOO. If you are at any stage asked "Do you want to keep your settings?" say NO.

Now test it. It will be OK.

If you want to copy back (most of) your settings, close AOO and then copy from the old profile you saved, except do not copy registrymodifications.xcu and do not copy the folder \config. Test after copying each folder - is it still OK? If not, go to Step 1. above.

GeoffreyLevens

Post by GeoffreyLevens »

Wow. FINALLY found the hidden folder. Should only delete the profile folder or delete the entire OO folder? I don't have any special magic settings, just using default ones.

Thank you!
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Delete only the USER folder.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
GeoffreyLevens

Post by GeoffreyLevens »

Thank you. On it...
GeoffreyLevens

Post by GeoffreyLevens »

Ahhhhh, relief. More than a click away but all's well now. Many thanks for expertise and patience!

Geoffrey
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please update your profile - it says "OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP".

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.