Italian spellcheck

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
sansisto

Italian spellcheck

Post by sansisto »

The other day, I was happily using my Italian spellcheck. Yesterday, when I opened OO, my Italian spellcheck was gone. I've been trying to download it again, but it just doesn't work. Although everywhere you'd want to see the name of a language says Italian, it doesn't work. And I think my English spellcheck is gone now, too.

Can someone please help me? Can someone tell me how to download these two spellchecks without having them disappear without warning again someday? (This isn't the first time this has happened to me and you can understand if I'm getting a little tired of it.)

Thank you.
OpenOffice 3.1 on windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Italian spellcheck

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to reset your OpenOffice user profile?

If no change, then follow this topic: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sansisto

Post by sansisto »

Neither of these two things did anything to help me.
I tried again to download the Italian spellcheck 4.1.3, since the 4.1.5 doesn't work at all.
Now I've got the Italian OO, that shows me stuff like Documento di testo and Foglio elettronico. And I still don't have an Italian spellcheck.
I DON'T WANT AN ITALIAN OO. I WANT AN ENGLISH OO WITH AN ITALIAN SPELLCHECK AND AN ENGLISH SPELLCHECK.
Why do I have this problem twice a year? How can I fix it forever??????
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When you reset your OpenOffice user profile were you prompted for your name and initials on next start of OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You've downloaded the install file in Italian.
Either reinstall the English one (preferred method IMHO) or download the English language pack, install it and change the interface language in the Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages (well, in Italian of course).

Have found this extension for Italian that should be fine: https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... n-patterns
sansisto

Post by sansisto »

I just tried it again. I downloaded the English OO. I got the English OO with the English spellcheck. Then I tried to download the Italian spellcheck.

I clicked on Download language pack, Italian. Now I've got the Italian OO with the English spell check and no Italian spellcheck.

What is going on? What is wrong with OO? I'm getting tired of this. How many times do I have to go through this???
sansisto

Post by sansisto »

Hagar Delest--I just tried your link. I got as far as seeing three choices: Disable, Remove, and Add. I don't want to disable it. I don't want to remove it. If I click on Add, it asks me for the name of the file. What file? What name? What you gave me to use is not something to download the Italian spellcheck, is it?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I suggest that you open Help in Writer, select Index and search for spellcheck;default languages. Read the sections "Adding More Text Languages" and "Adding More UI Languages". It sounds like you're downloading a language pack for the UI language instead of a dictionary for Spellcheck.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

sansisto wrote:I clicked on Download language pack, Italian. Now I've got the Italian OO with the English spell check and no Italian spellcheck.
Of course. You should install an extension like the one I linked. It is a .oxt file that will install the dictionary.
You can remove the Italian language pack.
sansisto

Italian spellcheck

Post by sansisto »

I'll try explaining this again. This happens to me at least twice a year through no fault of my own.

I have OO in English. I have an English spell check.

I need an Italian spell check in addition to the English. But every time I try to download an Italian spell check, it changes my OO to Italian and doesn't give me an Italian spell check. But I still have the spell check in English.

What is going on? I click on what it says to click on and I don't get what I want. If there's a problem with OO, why don't you fix it? I'm tired of going through this nonsense twice a year. I need an Italian spell check and an English spell check. And I need OO in English.

Why can't I get that?

Will you please help me?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

No need to create a new thread for the very same question again.
I've merged it in the previous one.
Have you tried to install the extension?

Note: this is a gentle reminder. By ignoring previous replies, you'll end by being ignored in return.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

No one here can prevent the problem from happening again. This is a user-to-user forum. We can only tell you how to work around the problem.

Download and install the English full installation. Download and install the Italian spellcheck dictionary (NOT the Italian language pack). Do not delete the downloaded files.

The next time you lose Spell Check, reset your user profile to restore the English Spell Check then reinstall the Italian spellcheck dictionary to restore the Italian Spell Check.
sansisto

Post by sansisto »

Hagar Delest

Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone has internet at home? And that sometimes people get sick and can't go to a Wi-Fi cafe?

If I didn't answer your posts quickly enough, it was because I've been home with diarhea and coughing my guts up.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

sansisto wrote:Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone has internet at home? And that sometimes people get sick and can't go to a Wi-Fi cafe?
The problem is not the time you took to reply (we are used to that). You've started a new discussion for a question you had already asked and to which there was replies already.
You get mail notification when there is a reply, please use it to go to the discussion.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I need an Italian spell check in addition to the English. But every time I try to download an Italian spell check, it changes my OO to Italian and doesn't give me an Italian spell check. But I still have the spell check in English.
This description suggests you are downloading the Italian language pack rather than the Italian dictionary - see https://www.openoffice.org/download/full_vs_lp.html for more information on language packs; especially this part

"Language packs contain only resource files to show menus, dialogs, messages, etc. in your favorite language but there is no program logic. In case text is not fully localized some elements of the user interface or help topics will display in English as default language.

After the language pack is installed the new language can be switched via the menu "Tools - Options - Language Settings - Languages - User Interface".

Please note:
Currently dictionaries are not included in language packs, only in full installations"

You need to go to the Extensions website to obtain dictionaries in other languages than the language of the full installation pack you downloaded.

TL;DR
In summary, a language pack changes the language you see in menus etc - it is not a dictionary.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
sansisto

Post by sansisto »

I went to your extension site and clicked on Italian. Nothing happened. When I tried to install, I was informed that this extension is already activated. Then it asks me if I want to replace the old Italian with the new Italian. I click on OK and it asks me again. I click on OK and it asks me again. I click on Ok and it asks me again.

And I still don't have an Italian spell check.

I'm glad I didn't pay for open office.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you a paragraph or character style defined which uses Italian as its language (should be selected on the style's Fonts tab)?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

sansisto wrote:I went to your extension site and clicked on Italian.
I don't have an extension site. Please post a link to the site where you clicked on Italian so I can do the same thing and see what happens.