Installing OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mukiduk

Installing OpenOffice

Post by mukiduk »

I belong to a computer club and I want to find out if anyone can put something on a usb that will stop it showing the installation file for 00. I had an instance yesterday when the computer running windows 7 would not show the necessary file on the usb that had been downloaded to it but when I put it in another computer running windows 10, the file showed up ok.

I had installed open office on that computer previously but it has been uninstalled.

I suspect that someone who does not like OO has done something to that computer to stop the program from being installed. If so, could you tell me what it might be.

Allan
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
Hagar Delest

Re: Installing OpenOffice

Post by Hagar Delest »

Could it be that you see the file on a Ubuntu system and not on a Windows one?
It may be because there are 2 partitions on the USB and Windows sees the first one only whereas Ubuntu see both of them.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Is the installation file a hidden file and hidden files are not shown on one PC? Right click the file > Properties ..., to check.

Is the anti virus software preventing it? The installation file is a .exe and the AV software may be flagging it as a risk.

Put test.odt on the USB memory stick in the same folder as the installation files. Can test.odt be seen on both PCs?
Attachments
test.odt
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mukiduk

Post by mukiduk »

I don't think these are causing the problem, but I will double check when I next go to the club.
Allan
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can already check your USB key if you have it with you: if the installation file is on a partition that is not the first one on the key, then it is very likely the problem. If so, move the installer to the first partition.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10