Need to downoad OpenOffice but will not connect to website

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
chblackmon

Need to downoad OpenOffice but will not connect to website

Post by chblackmon »

Help! I had to uninstall my copy of OpenOffice because it got corrupted. When I tried to go to the OpenOffice website to download the program it would not connect. Are there some kind of issues with the apache openoffice website today???
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Need to downoad OpenOffice but will not connect to websi

Post by FJCC »

I successfully connected just now. Can you not connect at all to www.openoffice.org or is there a problem later in the process?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I was just now able to connect to http://www.openoffice.org/download/
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
chblackmon

Post by chblackmon »

No I cannot connect to the openoffice website. What would be causing this?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

No I cannot connect to the openoffice website. What would be causing this?
It is works for me with Firefox browser and Win7 prof 64 bit.
What browser are you using?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The connection may not be permitted by your ISP.

Open a command line ant type "traceroot" (no quotes). This should show you where the connection breaks down.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Note:
Do not click anywhere on the appearing Sourceforge page, just wait for the download panel.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
chblackmon

Post by chblackmon »

my ISP says they are not blocking the openoffice website. They said i should contact HP to find out why the pc is blocking the website. HP wants to charge me to troubleshoot the problem. I am not going to pay those jerks for anything.

Why would my PC be blocking a website? Makes absolutely no sense. I was able to access the website at one time to download the program, now I can't why is that????
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

What browser are you using; what is the web address you are trying to connect to (e.g. http://www.openoffice.org/download/); and what happens when you try to connect - for instance is there an error message and what exactly is it?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
chblackmon

Post by chblackmon »

::Tried Firefox, chrome browsers. Get the same result:

"Secure Connection Failed

The connection to www.openoffice.org was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

Its bullshit there is no problem with the openoffice website.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
chblackmon wrote:Why would my PC be blocking a website?
It's probably the anti-virus software that you need if you use Windoze. Disable it while you perform the download (only from http://openoffice.org/download), unplug from the Internet while you install the software, enable anti-virus after the installation, then reconnect to the Internet. Disconnecting from the Internet is optional; skip that if you don't know how.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
chblackmon

Post by chblackmon »

Well as it turns out I already had a copy of the program leftover from when I had installed it earlier this year so there is no longer any need to connect to openoffice. The problem is even with a fresh installation of the program my file which I had invested almost 9 years of work into has been corrupted to where it will not open in either openoffice or excel. I have to default to an earlier XCL file and have to redo 4 months of work. Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I do not know why the file got corrupted. It is not the first time and it points to a deficiency in openoffice.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Depending on how the "corruption" is exhibited, it may be possible to recover some or all of the file in question. If you can tell us what the symptoms are it might be possible to offer further advice. In the meantime, you might try the following:

Download Recuva (Windows only) or PhotoRec for Win, MacOS, Linux and other OSes (only one needed) and let it do an in-depth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful. Given it may have been some while since the onset of your problem, you may not find much.

Damage to an Apache OpenOffice file is generally traceable to the computer shutting down or hibernating whilst the file is still open, or by over hasty powering down of the computer after closing AOO files. Having OpenOffice open whilst Windows performs overnight upgrades which require a reboot has also been reported as a cause.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15