[Solved] OpenOffice won't open at public library

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Judyth

[Solved] OpenOffice won't open at public library

Post by Judyth »

I've tried this at three separate libraries now. I can open it at home. At the libraries, I get a message saying I need to close OpenOffice on host "Judys_MBP.fios-router.home'.

I tried turning the Internet connection off at the library. That did not help. What else can I try.

Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
MrProgrammer

Re: OpenOffice won't open at library

Post by MrProgrammer »

Judyth wrote:I can open it at home. At the libraries, I get a message saying I need to close OpenOffice on host "Judys_MBP.fios-router.home'.
What is the exact error message? How did the document get to the library? Did you perhaps have the folder with the document on an external drive and take that drive to the library?
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Judyth

Post by Judyth »

I'll have to return to the library for the exact message. I'm using my laptop at the library and the file is on my laptop.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

So, would it be accurate to say this occurs on the same computer, with the same document(s), but only if you are not at home? Or are there other factors involved?

If it is the same computer, is it being shut down prior to moving to a library; if not, what exactly do you do prior to transporting it?

What is Judys_MBP.fios-router.home?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Be absolutely certain that the file is on your laptop disk and not on a network disk / cloud device which is not accessible when you are at the library.

1. Download test.odt and place it on your desktop. Edit it at home. Save it to the desktop.
2. Before leaving for library be certain that Writer is fully shut down with the file saved.
3. Power laptop OFF
4. Arrive at library and power laptop ON
5. Start OpenOffice by Start > All programs > OpenOffice > OpenOffice Writer.

Question 1: Does it start OK without error messages?

6. Go File > Open ..., and navigate to test.odt. Open it.

Question 2: Does it work OK?

7. Go File > Open ..., and navigate to your file which was causing problems before. Open it.

Question 3: Does it work OK?
Attachments
test.odt
(8.84 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Judyth wrote:I'm using my laptop at the library and the file is on my laptop.
You're probably seeing the situation described in [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q16/A16 or Q17/A17. Open the document at home. Close the document at home. Quit OpenOffice at home. Take the laptop to the library. Open the document there. You should not see the error now since the lock files were deleted at home. When you are done, close the document at the library. Quit OpenOffice at the library before taking your machine home again.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).