Windows 10 problem

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
saltcitystamper

Windows 10 problem

Post by saltcitystamper »

I tried to open a Open Office file today and drat and daxxx Wind. 10 or Micorsoft has changed all my files to word and want me to activate or purchase it. What do I do? Have I lost my files. Each file is now under the Word logo and opens in a partial word program . I am not one bit happy about this, how can they just take over my files. Is this blackmail or what
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Windows 10 problem

Post by RoryOF »

Your files have not been changed; the operating system has been told to use MS Word (etc) to open them. If you wish to double click a file and have it open with OpenOffice, you need to change the File Associations for each file type. Right click on one example of each file type you want OO to open and from the popup select "Open with", and scroll to find soffice.exe. At the bottom of that popup window should be a line to the effect "always open with this application" (or similar words. Click on that. OpenOffice is smart enough to use its correct application for each different type of its files.

There is a quicker way to do this for Win 10, but I am not familiar with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
saltcitystamper

Post by saltcitystamper »

Thank you, I had not thought about the open with pop up........ I just cannot abide MS thinking they can do whatever they want to. I had Word on my old computer with Win 7 and loved it but I will not pay what they want for it now. Its robbery pure and simple.
Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search Windows Help with association - you need to re-set .odt etc to be associated with OpenOffice and not associated with MS Word.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.