Help my Calc File is gone!

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
BrandonLonehart

Help my Calc File is gone!

Post by BrandonLonehart »

So I've had this file that's basically my journal and it has tons of stuff in it. Last night my laptop crashed and when I tried to reopen the file it came up blank. It acted as if I had just installed OpenOffice (which it does from time to time) and now whenever I open it it acts like the file is from a different program. The file itself is still pretty big so I know something's there...Anyone know what to do?
Open Office 4.7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Help my Calc File is gone!

Post by Zizi64 »

It acted as if I had just installed OpenOffice
Open Office 4.7
There Is not such Apache OpenOffice version yet.
Are you using LibreOffice?

Please fix your signature.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Either your computer crashed, or you powered down your computer before the internal housekeeping had been completed. Your file is corrupted and experience on OpenOffice User Forum indicates that little or nothing can be recovered from it.

However, you may recover some of the temporary files generated in the process of editing. Download and use a utility such as Recuva which may find some of these deleted temporary files; they may need to be renamed at system level to type .ods (if that was the file type you were using).

Do this as soon as possible.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
BrandonLonehart

Post by BrandonLonehart »

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm not sure how to change my signature.
Open Office 4.7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm not sure how to change my signature.
User Control Panel - Profile TAB - Edit signature SUBTAB
UserControlPanel.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.
b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.

It works for Calc files too.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.