Cannot open .odt file *appears with strange symbols

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Corruptedfile132

Cannot open .odt file *appears with strange symbols

Post by Corruptedfile132 »

Hello, in the attachment is shown what is happening when I try to open the open office file. This document was filled only with text (no images), it contained an analysis of a literary work. When I try opening the document these hashtag symbols appear instead of the text. Please help if you know any way of recovering the document or correcting fonts or anything that comes to mind to resolve the problem so that the document will be normally readable again with the text contained inside. Thank you
Attachments
there are paragraphs further down the document so I figure that the text should be there in the document
there are paragraphs further down the document so I figure that the text should be there in the document
Open office document not displaying correctly__1510403674_82.38.133.235.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 10850 times
OpenOffice 4.1.4 Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Re: CANNOT OPEN .ODT file *appears with strange symbols

Post by RoryOF »

Your file has been damaged, perhaps because of over hasty close down of the computer before internal housekeeping was complete.

See this link for information on recovery:
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files

If that desn't work as soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Do the above soonest!

Most likely there is nothing usable in your corrupt file, but if you upload it someone will have a look; do the above recovery information anyway, as soon as possible, just in case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Corruptedfile132

Post by Corruptedfile132 »

Thank you for much for your quick reply.
I am uploading here the corrupted file in case anyone is able to recover anything from it. It would be a great help. Thank you.
Attachments
Noble And Great Aspirations - Part 7.odt
This is the corrupt file. Please anyone who can extract any useful text from it would really help me.
(51.93 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
OpenOffice 4.1.4 Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I got nothing from it - I fear it is damaged beyond repair, as the #### characters usually indicate. Try as soon as possible the other methods I suggested.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

I looked inside the file. It consists of 53173 NUL characters. (The worst case of damage: The file length preserved as the only information.)
Hope the questioner had set 'Always create a backup copy' and can find the document in the last saved previous state in his backup folder.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Cannot open .odt file *appears with strange symbols

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

I am sorry but there is no data in the file - see below. The paragraphs appear because, when Writer sees a continuous string of characters, Writer inserts a new paragraph after every 9,999 characters.

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JacquesVonRhein

Post by JacquesVonRhein »

Hello, I'm having a similar problem. Today my computer crashed suddenly and brutally. Repairing the computer was remarkably simple, but when it ran again I noticed I lost the file I was working on during the crash, an .odt file full of notes. I tracked down the .tmp file of it, but I don't know what to do with the .tmp file. I looked at the tutorial linked above, but I couldn't find what to do after you find the .tmp file. It's a shame if I would lose this file. I made a summary backup of it, but still, it's sometimes good to look at the raw data and first ideas. I appreciate any input. Thanks.
Windows 8, Openoffice 4.1.1.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Change the extension on the temp file to .odt and see if it will open.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

JacquesVonRhein wrote:I looked at the tutorial linked above, but I couldn't find what to do after you find the .tmp file.
The tutorial says:
When you open an existing .odt file, Writer takes a copy of the file as it was when opened and saves it as a temporary file. This is the file you are trying to recover.
Sort the files in alphabetical order and rename the first file with a name like sv2ju1mk.tmp to fred.odt and try to open it.
I will make it clearer.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JacquesVonRhein

John_Ha wrote:
JacquesVonRhein wrote:I looked at the tutorial linked above, but I couldn't find what to do after you find the .tmp file.
The tutorial says:
When you open an existing .odt file, Writer takes a copy of the file as it was when opened and saves it as a temporary file. This is the file you are trying to recover.
Sort the files in alphabetical order and rename the first file with a name like sv2ju1mk.tmp to fred.odt and try to open it.
I will make it clearer.
Thanks Rory & John.

@John I must've looked over it. My mistake.

In any case I renamed the .tmp file as described and unfortunately I get a menu that asks me to select an ASCII Filter-Option or so. When I do, 30+ pages of #### open. I think that means I lost the file, right? :ouch:
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, I think so. There has been very few cases of recovery with this issue.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JacquesVonRhein

Hagar Delest wrote:Sadly, I think so. There has been very few cases of recovery with this issue.
Darn, that is too bad. I found the original broken file also - same thing. When I open it, ASCII menu & 30+ pages of #####. Should I give up & mourn for a bit or is there anything I could try?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As a very last try, download one of Recuva or PhotoRec and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer (may be slow).
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

For future peace of mind, consider downloading, installing and frequently using the Timestamped backup extension.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
JacquesVonRhein

RoryOF wrote:As a very last try, download one of Recuva or PhotoRec and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer (may be slow).
Thanks for the suggestion, I did it. Recuva did not find a usable file, unfortunately, even after deep scan.

@robleyd

I've installed the extension. I can't find the menu you describe. My OpenOffice is not in English and the translation of 'Tools' I can't find......This is also the place where I can enable the automatic back up making. But I can't find the square to check. My OpenOffice is in Dutch, so if there are any Dutchies here who can guide the way :knock: ?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.
b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.

JacquesVonRhein

John_Ha wrote:Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

Thanks bud, I tried it all, no luck. It's gone. Oh well still got the summary. From now on I'll make a weekly backup.