4.1.4 Base can't create tables on FreeBSD

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
weif

4.1.4 Base can't create tables on FreeBSD

Post by weif »

After upgrading to 4.1.4, Base seems extremely crippled.

In a new database, clicking create table in design view does nothing. Create table using wizard opens the wizard, but you can only select the tables available in the wizard. Once you complete the task an click finish, the window says open and the finish button is disabled. You can cancel which will close the window, and the table is there.

However, you cannot open or edit the table. These options are available, but they do nothing.

I have tried with Java and with Java disabled.

I have deleted OO.o and the jdk and reinstalled them.

I have tried installing from ports and installing from packages. The behavior is the same.

It looks like Calc works (though it gives an error about links every time you open a new file, though it then appears to update linked information if it exists...). It also looks like writer works.

However, if you select "exit quickstarter" from the quickstarter menu, it appears to exit, but the process does not end and it starts consuming processor...
OOo 3.4.1 FreeBSD
RoryOF

Re: 4.1.4 Base can't create tables on FreeBSD

Post by RoryOF »

Please report this as a bug on Bugzilla
[Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions

A problem has been discovered on OO 4.1.4 for MacOS concerning use of charts in Calc; the fix for this has generated a problem in database work, and it may be that your BSD problem might be related.

For Mac users: pending release of a fixed version of OO 4.1.4 for MacOS it is recommended that you revert to OO 4.1.3.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

Ciao,
I am a Mac user and before I announced the release of version 4.1.4 on the Italian forum (I am admin) I tested Open Office without any problems. In particular I use Base and I see no problems of any kind. I have not yet tried Calc's charts.
Maybe @weif's issues are related to the operating system? But he does not tell us what it is: I use both Lion and High Sierra.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

His Subject line says "FreeBSD"
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

I'm sorry, I did not understand well what wrote RoryOF :oops:
charlie
Italian AOO Admin

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In his Subject line he lists FreeBSD as the operating system.
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

I was talking about your previous post.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There has been found a problem in OO 4.1.4 for Macs; Calc does _not_ save charts in the file. The fix for this has a side effect, making a problem in Base and database work. Until a fix for both problems is found we recommend Mac users to use OO 4.1.3.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Calc has no Java dependencies unless you use Java extensions for Calc. Calc works perfectly well without any Java.

Base can be used productively without any Java installed on the system. I did so several years long with OpenOffice.org 1 and 2.
-- Create a non-Java database (MySQL or PostrgeSQL for instance) and connect a Base document via ODBC or via built-in drivers (a so called SDBC connection). You can use any database development tool you prefer. From within Base you can issue data definition statements via Tools>SQL which provides a simple command line for the connected database engine.
-- Without Java you can still design queries in the graphical designer (which is not that useful) and in SQL view. The Java driven query wizard is pointless anyway. You can also copy SQL SELECT statements from your preferred development tool and save them as Base queries. While in SQL view, you can use 2 modes, the "parsed mode" which uses a HSQL-like syntax for all types of database connections and "direct SQL mode" which uses the syntax of the underlying database. Direct mode has some limitations regarding input forms.
-- Without Java you can design input forms in design view. The Java driven form wizard is almost useless since it does not even cover 10% of the possibilities.
-- Without Java you can NOT create any reports that are embedded in the Base document but there are alternatives. With Calc you can easily build stand-alone reports on spreadsheets by means of linked database ranges and pivot tables. With Writer you can build stand-alone text documents as serial letters, record sets copied into text tables and macro driven report engines.

Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java lists some other office features that depend on Java and which you may want to try. If they fail too, the problem is not related to any specific office component.

P.S.: Without Java you can even create a new database, on Windows and Linux at least. You get a connection to a dBase directory with *.dbf files. This database type is very limited, nevertheless better than list keeping on spreadsheets.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice