[Solved] Deleting Table Rows Has Scrambled Pages

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
jennykumeo

[Solved] Deleting Table Rows Has Scrambled Pages

Post by jennykumeo »

Sorry if the Subject is confusing - I find the situation confusing. I created a Writer document into which I inserted a table - initially 2 rows x 5 columns. I set the top row as column headers which repeated on every new page. The purpose was, to keep a record of certain activities. Each row contained entries for activities occurring in a 24hr period. As text was added the row would 'spill' onto a new page. A new row was added for each day … I even created a macro and keyboard shortcut to facilitate adding the new row each day. Along the way I decided to add an extra two columns, so created a new table, abutting the first. Eventually, I wanted to delete some 'old' entries. After first trying to do so using the "delete" button, but realising that that only deleted the cell contents, I began selecting rows, one at a time, and using Table/Delete/Rows. That worked but was slow, so, using the situation in which the cursor turns to a small black arrow accompanied by a sign saying something like "Select Row", I tried to click and drag to select multiple rows … then, Table/Delete/Rows. Chaos ensued. I cannot now recall at what point I noticed it, but after each operation of "Table/Delete/Rows", I ended up with multiple copies of the row I had selected and could not access subsequent rows. I also noticed that the insertion point sometimes indicated that the table row extended 'underneath' the page margins. All-in-all I have ended up with 'scrambled' pages, unable to access later entries, and have deleted the whole document. Is this normal? Should I have instead of using a table in a Writer document, opted for a spreadsheet?
---------------------------------------------------
Welcome to My Blog: http://www.footguru.net
Last edited by jennykumeo on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Closed: Deleting Table Rows Has Scrambled Pages

Post by Zizi64 »

Closed: Deleting Table Rows Has Scrambled Pages
Why "closed"?

Is it resolved?

If the ansver is YES: How is it resolved?
If the answer is NOT: Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: Closed: Deleting Table Rows Has Scrambled Pages

Post by Hagar Delest »

It depends on what you want to do.
To get the whole view of the document, switch to the View>Web layout.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10